Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectThinking about changing careers and going into teaching.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2217772&mesg_id=2218586
2218586, Thinking about changing careers and going into teaching.
Posted by Cenario, Wed Aug-14-13 10:19 AM
I been working at a law firm since I graduated HS, 12+ years. Got my bachelors in '07 in I/O psychology aka work psych aka hr but haven't been using it at all. Ideally would want to do HR but since i don't have the experience, any hr job I took would come with a paycut that I can't afford to take at this point in my life. I don't want to take another legal assistant/paralegal job but that's where my experience is.

So....I am considering going into teaching and getting certified through nyc teaching fellows. I'd have to go back to school(which I'm not excited about) but the shorter work day and extra vacations would offset that school time. I'd take a pay cut to start but I'd save about $4,000 a year in benefits and I'd see raises as I gain the experience and education. My boy is going through the program now and says that he'd easily be able to get me into his school.

So that's the plan..any thoughts, advice?

And to my survivor brethren, it sad that my 2nd thought was, What about the Survivor draft though? smh.