Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectSometimes...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2159060&mesg_id=2162884
2162884, Sometimes...
Posted by jimaveli, Mon Apr-15-13 07:17 PM
>http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/271053-scott-hall-reveals-who-would-have-been-the-qthird-manq-if-hulk-hogan-hadnt-shown-up-in-time
>
>Bischoff was interested, he was offering him a pretty sweet
>deal but Bret wasn’t interested. We wanted it to be hulk, but
>Hulk had creative control in his contract so he didn’t have to
>do anything he didn’t want to do. We went to the ring, we
>hadn’t even met Hulk yet, I met him briefly at WrestleMania 9
>but I didn’t know Hulk, we actually went to the ring in
>Daytona and Hogan wasn’t even there yet. He was on a jet,
>flying cross country from shooting a movie. Bischoff wanted it
>to be Hulk but before we went out, Bischoff told us 'If Hulk
>doesn't show, I’m gonna send out Sting.'"

You gotta be glad that things work out the way they do. Sting as third member of the nWo would've had less legs by far. And we all know the yellow and red Hawk Hogan would've just wiped them out in a year or less with punches, back rakes, scoop slams, and leg drops. After that, Hogan would've continued to get more and more 'we're tired of you winning all the damn time' heat...but as a face...it would've been brutal. And WCW or WWF PROBABLY would've gone outta biz sooner without the absurd buzz and money that got spent on wrestling in the 2nd half of the 90s.

With THAT, maybe WCW never gets as big as it got, WWF would've never had to evolve to survive, and maybe ECW would've taken over the world as ECW...and not just as ECW's people got stolen...aka ECW (and All Japan) is responsible for what North American wrestling became after the Hogan era ended in the early 90s and was well into dragging wrestling down into the ground before the accidental brilliance of the nWo changed things. It is pretty clear...ECW brought guys in, let them wrestle and packaged them effectively while hiding their flaws (lack of size, couldn't talk, whatever)...WCW and WWE either stole the guys and used them the same damn way or stole the gimmicks for guys they already had and rolled on until Rhyno was champ and Paul E couldn't pay anybody.

And I'm not so sure Bret would've worked out as well either. Of course, the matches would've been hella better, and MAYBE Owen would've defected to WCW to be the 'I can't believe you showed up' thorn in Bret's side. Hmmm...yeah...that would've been better than Sting being in the nWo too. Really...that would've been awesome as long as Goldberg doesn't still end up kicking him in the head and ruining him forever.

Jimaveli