Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectNah.... depends on the execution.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2159060&mesg_id=2162126
2162126, Nah.... depends on the execution.
Posted by Cold Truth, Sat Apr-13-13 11:29 PM
A Cena heel turn could be huge.

I see people making the Austin parallel, but it's not really accurate. It's really a lot closer to Rocky Maivia- people just hated the golly-shux-gee whiz character and a lot of us hate Cena because he's similar to that mold and has been for awhile. Austin didn't get 'we fucking hate your guts' heat before he turned, and John has had that for awhile now- which means there's a natural, organic way to turn him that not only makes logical sense, it provides the right context to make it work.

Here's how you make Cena work as a heel:

You know how I used Rocky III as my template for how to sell Ryback Vs Brock? Maybe not, but I think that was a brilliant idea. At any rate, Cena requires a far grander scale. The sort of time, planning, and involvement reserved for major, earth shattering events in the Marvel/DC comic universes. Truth be told, that should be their template as a whole anyways. I'm talking shit like Onslaught, or more appropriately, World War Hulk.

Anyhow, Super Cena is wack as a face most nights, but as a heel it's perfect. He can be the guy who finally snaps when his hard work, hustle, loyalty, and respect gets shit on one time too many.

So guess what? He becomes a true monster heel for the ages, hell bent on destroying everyone the fans love- precisely because the fans love them. Anyone the fans cheer, John considers his enemy because the fans are his enemy. So he goes out and decimates every face in existence, even beating the breaks off a few heels, refs, Divas, "fans" (plants, obviously), McMahons, Legends, announcers, The Shield, Brock, I mean EVERYONE becomes a target. Everyone. He says he's been holding back his true strength all these years but now the gloves are off.

So they all have to ban together to take him out. Fuck the NWO, make Cena a one man wrecking crew for the ages on some Incredible Hulk shit, and the WWE gets a new lease on life. Expertise and others have extreme tunnel vision and think bubble gum boy scout Cena is the ONLY way the WWE can possibly print money, but they're wrong. Pro wrestling has traditionally caked off of shaking things up and making drastic, sharp left turns at a moments notice. Imagination and that legendary pair of Grapefruits Vinny Mac seems to have had removed are what's needed to jump start the product.

Turn Cena heel to jump start a massive crossover involving every member in the WWE Universe, and the product will be fucking amazing.