Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectAustin also was not getting the kind of reaction that Cena is now
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2159060&mesg_id=2161078
2161078, Austin also was not getting the kind of reaction that Cena is now
Posted by Dr Claw, Thu Apr-11-13 08:22 AM
where (minus WWE's crowd doctoring) there's more than enough anti-Cena reaction to be obvious. He's the cash cow for sure, but let's not pretend Cena = Austin in 2001.

Austin was a few months removed from returning after that neck injury that took him out of the business for over a year. His positive reaction was damn near unanimous. He could literally kiss Vince McMahon's ass on screen (Regal?) and the crowd would still cheer him.

I get the business reasons for keeping Cena in "SuperCena" mode. I just hope the crowd continues to give him (and WWE) shit for it. Because the booking he gets is worse than Austin as heel (Austin had to change his on-screen persona drastically just to get people to boo him. Nearly nothing he did could get the crowd to turn on him).

In retrospect, a lot of that post WMX-7 booking in 2001 was bullshit. Especially the InVasion, which was just Vince blowing a cigar in the face of wrestling fans. Reminded me of a live action version of SNK vs Capcom Chaos.