Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectPinto/Mauer --> a 2014 Roster try
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2155715&mesg_id=2231487
2231487, Pinto/Mauer --> a 2014 Roster try
Posted by Walleye, Mon Sep-16-13 09:22 AM
There's not a lot going right, but seeing a breakout like Pinto's has been sort of fun and made the Mauer-may-be-done-catching talk a bit easier to take. So, without wanting to talk about the horrifying results of actual Twins games, we'll take a pass and talk about an actual 2014 roster which probably wont be the opening day one, but which could be a usable one by June or so:

1. Aaron Hicks, CF
2. Joe Mauer, 1B
3. Miguel Sano, 3B
4. Oswaldo Arcia, RF
5. Josh Willingham, DH
6. Eddie Rosario, 2B
7. Brian Dozier, 2B
8. Alex Presley, LF
9. Josmil Pinto, C

Bench: Chris Herrmann OF/C, Pedro Florimon SS, Eduardo Escobar IF, Chris Parmelee 1B/DH

Rotation:

1. Kyle Gibson
2. Scott Diamond
3. Alex Meyer
4. Trevor May
5. Kevin Correia

Bullpen:

Glen Perkins
Anthony Swarzak
Casey Fien
Jared Burton
Mike Tonkin
Brian Duensing

That's 24 guys. It seemed silly to speculate on the rest of the bullpen, which actually looks pretty good anyhow.

The good here is a strong, balanced lineup that can work walks, hit for power, and even has a little bit of speed spread in there. Presley is "meh" to me but he's played pretty well since he was acquired, hits left-handed, can defend that big-ass leftfield, and is a perfectly cromulent placeholder for Buxton.

The bad in the lineup is defense. Outside of Hicks, Presley, and Mauer - none of those guys have a particularly strong track record. And Mauer's isn't even at first, though I've been happy with him when he's played there. Pinto is improving. Rosario is a work in progress. Sano has gotten some good marks but mostly in the "he can stay there" sense. And fielding this lineup would mean punting on the really quite good defense Dozier has provided at second (I realize UZR disagrees but I don't care) for a one-year breakout performance with his bat.

Still, that's a good lineup.

The rotation will be up-and-down, but has a shot at not finishing at the absolute bottom of the barrel in the AL in strikeouts if Meyer and May occupy it at the same time. I rather like that idea.

Bullpen looks good. In the Central, the above is a team that can play like a 3rd place club while getting their feet wet. That's not a lot, but more than half of that lineup has their career years in front of them.