Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectKyle Gibson: A New Nope
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2155715&mesg_id=2225759
2225759, Kyle Gibson: A New Nope
Posted by Walleye, Fri Sep-06-13 10:57 AM
>we'll just have to cross our fingers the prospects don't get remodeled >in their development.

So far, so good. Finding guys with live fastballs is step one. The good version of Liriano, for instance, could follow a Twins philosophy of getting ahead in the count with fastballs and then finishing guys with quality breaking stuff because his fastball was also really tough to hit. I've heard Rick Anderson describe this as "pitch to contact" but really it's just "get ahead in the count and don't be afraid of contact." I can live with that if we don't have the Kevin Correia's of the world on our roster. That guy should definitely be afraid of contact.

Alex Meyer posted a high K/9 than he did in the lower levels in the Nats organization. Trevor May was repeating a level and showed a marginal uptick in K/9. Berrios' K/9 dropped substantially, but as much as I'd like for him to have repeated his 2012 dominance it wasn't particularly likely in his full-season debut.

Rookie-level guys like Kohl Stewart, Stephen Gonsalves, Randy Rosario, and my favorite for Twins pitching sleeper, Felix Jorge, all still profile as real bat-missers. So... if this whole stupid thing is personnel driven then we're part of the way to fixing it... provided, as you ably note, that the organization doesn't fuck it up with their stupid philosophy.