Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectI'm not going to look up Morneau's split since the trade deadline
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2155715&mesg_id=2217782
2217782, I'm not going to look up Morneau's split since the trade deadline
Posted by Walleye, Sun Aug-11-13 10:09 AM
Oh wait. I did. He's hit six homeruns in those ten games and is slugging .750. Thanks, chief.

I want him to be well and resurrect his career after a legitimately tragic (in baseball scope - not in life scope now that he's fine) derailing in 2010, but if he gets crazy hot between July 31 and the end of the season, I'm going to be a little bit grouchy about it.

At the same time, there's a reasonable conclusion (which a Morneau hot streak would confirm) that he's the best firstbaseman in the organization in 2014. Parmelee doesn't look like the contender. Mauer isn't being called a firstbaseman yet. So that's it. Those are the guys.

We didn't get anything back on him by the deadline. A waiver trade could work with a guy his salary, and we're not far along yet that the return of a decent prospect that doesn't need to go on the 40-man is something to turn down.

But I actually think that the qualifying offer isn't a bad idea for him. There isn't a lot of money committed next year so he doesn't prevent us doing more if he takes it, and the Twins get a pick if he doesn't.

So how about Oswaldo Arcia? Dude can hit, right?