Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectRE: I think it was always preordained.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2120664&mesg_id=2122955
2122955, RE: I think it was always preordained.
Posted by Af-1, Thu Jan-31-13 08:32 AM
I think that's exactly the point - the fact that Rock Cena II was always going to be the big WM main event match is specifically what would irk me, if I was Punk. He carried that belt for a long time and did a fantastic job but ultimately could end up feeling that he was just keeping the belt warm to pass it over and make way for THEIR big match.

I remember seeing a Bret Hart interview and he talked about HBK's rise and the build-up to their iron man match - he said he felt he was just getting ready to hand it over because everything was gearing up to making Michaels the next big star and he didn't feel he was afforded any respect to his past accomplishments.

I'd understand it if Punk felt that way, particularly as he has no real WM plans in place (should Undertake shoot down the WM return, what's Punk going to do then?

You're right about his accomplishments over the last 400+ days but WM is the big spotlight and he could feel that he's been denied the right to bask in that spotlight.