Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectRock/Punk=Good for business. Rock/Cena? Not really.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2120664&mesg_id=2121259
2121259, Rock/Punk=Good for business. Rock/Cena? Not really.
Posted by Cold Truth, Mon Jan-28-13 05:29 PM
>And his shine rubs off on those who get booked with him.

Rock/Punk was an incredible match. I even dig the finish, much as people seem to hate it. That's good for business because the actual match surpassed the hype. Both guys showed their ass. This firmly establishes Punk as a Pantheon-level player. It's a fitting way to end a legit title reign. He lost to The Great One in a match where the Rock BROUGHT IT. So yeah, that rub actually works here.

Rock/Cena? Good for buyrates and nothing else. Cena doesn't get a rub because he's already the Hogan of this generation. He's already a mainstream crossover star. He's already cemented his legacy. There's no rub to be had and everything about this feud is predictable. It raised buyrates, but what long term good is done? Not much. Short term, obviously.

The rub works with Punk. It works with Ziggler. Bryan. Guys like that who are legitimately this generations best, and have the talent to reach a higher plain like Punk has.

>guarantee Punk has no problem with dropping the title to Rock
>last night, because Rock is a guy worthy of dropping it to.
>Doesn't hurt Punk's legacy

Agreed. The match not only doesn't hurt Punk's legacy, it solidifies it.

>the PPV probably did great
>business, and plus, having Rock in the picture for the next
>couple of months

Agreed.

>is an opportunity to have him help legitimize
>some of the younger guys, in matches, but also just with
>promos.

Here's the problem: He won't be used to legitimize anyone. He'll be used to put the title back on Cena and nothing more. The only potential use I see would be with The Shield, but I doubt that's really in the cards in a significant way.

A rising tide does lift all boats, but the truth is nobody is being elevated with this and that's a shame. If they really wanted to make this matter, Ziggler would have cashed in on Rock last night and we'd have a Rock/Cena/Ziggler Triple Threat to headline Mania.