Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectI know this was what was going to happen but so many better ideas
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2120664&mesg_id=2120896
2120896, I know this was what was going to happen but so many better ideas
Posted by Y2Flound, Mon Jan-28-13 08:55 AM
Hear me out on this, forget the idea that Cena vs Rock has to be the big money making match.

You have a heel who has been champ for 400+ days just like the old days, you build up this young popular face chasing him for months and then he never gets the belt? I hate Ryback, but this is why you have no stars WWE. You had the opportunity to take any guy and build him into a made man by dethroning Punk and you gave it to a guy already in the hall of fame who hasn't held the belt in 10 years? Announcing nobody on your roster can actually beat Punk and you have nobody on his level.

So now we get Rock vs Cena 2 and the end is 100% known unlike last year, Cena wins, we go back to 2 years ago, and you have nobody on Cena's level on the roster besides Punk because you only tried to build 1 new
superstar that whole time and then you had him lose 100 times in a row and get thrown out of the Rumble clean.

But what could have happened instead?

Would Punk now at 500 days vs Rock at WM not have drawn huge as well? Why did we blow that wad at the Rumble and make WM so predictable?

Wouldn't elimination chamber be way more exciting if Punk was champ heading into it and the belt could go to a bunch of guys before wrestlemania? Good luck selling that ppv now.

What if Punk at 500 days took on Undertaker at WM in the biggest streak vs streak ever. Wouldn't Rock vs Cena 2 sell just as well without the title? It's not like the surprise of who will win is the selling point.

What if Ryback had dethroned Punk instead at Royal Rumble. Would he not have been a huge superstar for ending that streak. He would basically be as big with young fans as Goldberg ever was. I wouldn't like this plan, but you have to think about the future.

What if Punk just beat Rock? Sure you lose the allure of having Rock at WM, and maybe it hurts buy rates this year, but what about the future. You have solidified Punk as top 5 all time with that win, bringing him to his 2nd straight WM as champ. At that point he could lose to Cena or Ryback, or anyone you want and it is HUGE.

Instead they went the vanilla route we all saw coming in July when Rock announced his plans. WM will sell what they expect it to, and the roster will continue being Cena, Punk and nobody else. Punks streak will be useless in the long term and not 1 new mega star was built the entire time.