Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectI can say why I defended him.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2109456&mesg_id=2110391
2110391, I can say why I defended him.
Posted by mrhood75, Sun Jan-13-13 12:09 PM
1. For the same reason I defended Barry Bonds: people could talk as much shit as they wanted about what they "knew" or believed, but he never tested positive. And he was tested more than most. And despite lots of allegations, his detractors hadn't been to prove anything.

2. Honestly, the people who lined up against him just sounded mad. What, I'm going to side with the French, who were mad that an American was dominating "their" race? I'm supposed to side with the sour grapes former champions that were mad that someone won the race more times than they did in a fashion more dominating than they ever did? I'm supposed to side with guys on other teams who were mad that he was kicking their ass every year (and probably were just as dirty as he was)? I'm supposed to side with former teammates with an ax to grind for various reasons? Nah, man, they all just sounded mad as fuck.

3. Might sound goofy, I always liked the way dude beat cancer. Maybe because I've got close relatives that are cancer survivors, but it always make me smile when someone kicks cancer's ass. I also like the way he dealt with his religious "critics." They complained that he wasn't thanking God enough for his recovery, and he countered that he didn't beat cancer because of God, but because of his doctors hard work and his own efforts. That also made me smile.

4. Finally, I can never get worked up after performance enhancing drugs in sports. True for baseball, football, basketball, cycling, whatever. All sanctimonious crap about the "purity of the sport" has always made me want to puke. It's ten tons of horseshit spouted by assholes who pine for the time of "purity" in athletes that never actually existed. So the "Oh, he cheated!!!!" warbling never has and never will move me. I'm honestly more offended by Armstrong's shady charity practices than I ever could or would be by him admitting to doping.