Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectWhy don't Duke and UNC have powerhouse football programs?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2099400
2099400, Why don't Duke and UNC have powerhouse football programs?
Posted by MALACHI, Fri Dec-28-12 03:43 PM
Yeah, I know they are "basketball schools", but are they CHOOSING not to be football schools? They both have the money to pour into a football program, and they should have enough name recognition to recruit for football. Is it because they won't hire big name coaches? Is all the good football talent from North Carolina going to go ACC, Big East or SEC schools that have more "established" football programs? What am I missing?
2099402, we tried to do it big and got caught lol.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Fri Dec-28-12 03:45 PM
permanent sleeping giant status.
2099407, ACC! ACC! ACC! ACC! ACC!
Posted by bshelly, Fri Dec-28-12 03:54 PM
The A in ACC, in this case, stands for "AIDS of the football variety."
2099411, i laugh because i don't care
Posted by Basaglia, Fri Dec-28-12 04:02 PM
2099429, limited focus....I respect programs that are good in multiple
Posted by Warren Coolidge, Fri Dec-28-12 04:49 PM
MAJOR sports..

not just b.ball and lacrosse raping...
2099430, Lol
Posted by guru0509, Fri Dec-28-12 04:52 PM
Coolidge is FOCUSED

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci78Y6oTAY8
2099442, Not guilty, btw.
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Dec-28-12 05:18 PM
>lacrosse raping...
2099444, lmao...man, that marshall's customer of the month nigga don't care
Posted by Basaglia, Fri Dec-28-12 05:24 PM
2099510, still throwing black prosititute parties..... not exactly worthy of the ivy
Posted by Warren Coolidge, Fri Dec-28-12 08:45 PM
league of north carolina...lolol.

2099449, are you pretending that UCLA football hasn't been shit for 15 years?
Posted by bshelly, Fri Dec-28-12 05:33 PM
2099509, I flip sports...not schools. By definition someone who
Posted by Warren Coolidge, Fri Dec-28-12 08:44 PM
has to flip schools when sports seasons change is a bandwagon jumper..

I'm UCLA in football, basketball, baseball, soccer, volleyball, tennis, track and field..

I root for 1 school (with the exception of the teams that my former students play for)....

I got 1 school..

1 school...

2099512, lol
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Fri Dec-28-12 08:58 PM

>I root for 1 school (with the exception of the teams that my
>former students play for)....
>
>I got 1 school..
>
>1 school...
>
>
2099433, Duke is a small school, but UNC I don't understand.
Posted by Tiger Woods, Fri Dec-28-12 04:57 PM
there's talent in the state and certainly in the South.
2099660, Wake is small and they have had success recently
Posted by The Real, Sat Dec-29-12 10:44 AM

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Make Money: http://jamesjenkins.acnrep.com
Save Money: http://jamesjenkins.acndirect.com
2099443, Duke doesn't because flopping calls don't exist in football.
Posted by 40thStreetBlack, Fri Dec-28-12 05:19 PM

2099653, ^^^This is correct.
Posted by Buck, Sat Dec-29-12 09:25 AM
2099448, Duke is a crazy small school with crazy high academic standard.
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Dec-28-12 05:32 PM
I know it's weird to think about... but at Duke, the kids go to classes. The football players I knew were always there, always passing. I knew a dummy or two, but they still maintained good grades and strong attendance.

And no offense to the big guys of this world, but it's hard to find pro-level offensive linemen who can also rock a 1250+ on the Math/English portion of his SATs and get above a 3.0 GPA in high school. That's below the usual academic requirements for getting into Duke... I highly doubt they'd push that past 1150 and 2.5 in high school, otherwise they're gonna struggle academically at Duke, even with the easiest schedule.

Really the only elite academic schools competitive in basketball or football on a regular basis are Duke and Stanford. The fact that Stanford is so good at football despite the rigorous academic requirements I chalk up to a tradition of relative competitiveness that Duke simply doesn't have-- West Coast recruits with strong academic scores see that they can go to Stanford while still being in the hunt for a Pac-10 title. I'm sure they also put more money into football than Duke has in the past, although that's been changing in the Cutcliffe era and will surely change even more in the coming years.

(Thinking about it, I bet Notre Dame is close to that level of stringency when it comes to academics, but between their absolutely insane tradition and booster money, that's a no-brainer.)
2099508, Stanford?
Posted by brown sugar, Fri Dec-28-12 08:43 PM
Their football team has BEEN ballin with 50% of the players on the field being National Merit Scholars.
2099599, ... that's literally exactly what I said.
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Dec-28-12 11:52 PM
lol
2099646, all that sounds nice, but it all comes down to coaching
Posted by Challenger, Sat Dec-29-12 08:21 AM
Mack Brown (UNC)= success ... 60,000+ was at the UNC/Florida State game in '97 ... I was there, he left for Texas
Steve Spurrier (Duke)= success ... won ACC then left for Florida

Neither cared enough to stay long enough to build on what they started.

Methinks it's because they are both basketball powerhouse schools and less interested in fielding a big-time football program moreso than academic standards.

They have the money, have the cache/fanbase and conference.

Challenger-

2099710, Short-term success =\= having a program.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sat Dec-29-12 01:55 PM
>Mack Brown (UNC)= success ... 60,000+ was at the UNC/Florida
>State game in '97 ... I was there, he left for Texas
>Steve Spurrier (Duke)= success ... won ACC then left for
>Florida
>
>Neither cared enough to stay long enough to build on what they
>started.

You're right that a good coach can lead a team to a winning season once or twice. But that's different than changing the culture.

>Methinks it's because they are both basketball powerhouse
>schools and less interested in fielding a big-time football
>program moreso than academic standards.

When I was there, they promoted the hell out of the program under Ted Roof. We've been trying to find that guy to build a successful program with, and have failed. That's not the same as a lack of interest. I saw them spend millions of advertising to Duke fans, Duke alumni, Durham locals... and just no one gave a shit cuz we're losers. Which goes to my next point...

>They have the money, have the cache/fanbase and conference.

We don't have the fan base. Once I went to an event in the dining hall that was supposed to be a pep rally for the football team with the coach in attendance... And I shit you not, there were more football players there than people. It was the saddest thing I've ever seen.

Duke fans simply have never cared about football. But that's changing under Cutcliffe.

>Challenger-
>
>
2099601, UNC was good when Mack Brown was there
Posted by KosherSam, Sat Dec-29-12 12:12 AM
then he left for Texas and they went to shit.

Duke was good when Spurrier was there. Then he left and they went to shit.

It's all about finding a good coach
2099627, I think Mack realized he had hit his ceiling with UNC...
Posted by guru0509, Sat Dec-29-12 01:32 AM
...at the time, it was clear that football was 2nd fiddle to hoops...(edit, it still is but at least UNC and Duke are trying not to completely ignore the fb programs)

Funny how the brainiacs at either school didn't realize football is where the money is at until recently
2099754, they just couldn't beat F$U
Posted by KosherSam, Sat Dec-29-12 04:51 PM
they had a couple of seasons where they crept into the top 10 (one year I think they got as high as #5) but then the noles would pound the shit out of them.
2099730, Even when Spurrier was at Duke,....
Posted by TurkeylegJenkins, Sat Dec-29-12 02:59 PM
.... the best they could muster was an 8-4 season that ended with a loss to Texas Tech in the All-American Bowl. Let's not act like they were world-beaters under the ole' ball coach.

2099756, ...& it came in his last year, also earning them a share of the ACC title
Posted by KosherSam, Sat Dec-29-12 04:55 PM
the team improved each year he was there, and in his final year, they won a share of the ACC crown and went to a bowl game. it's not a stretch to think they would have gotten better had he stayed.
2100694, (why doesn't) Duke have (a) powerhouse football program?
Posted by will_5198, Sun Dec-30-12 11:38 PM
this can't be a serious question

the only reason Duke basketball is an elite program is because one of the best coaches of all time dedicated his career to it

so uh, unless Duke finds the next Nick Saban, and keeps him for 30 years, they'll remain what they are -- a mostly irrelevant ACC team (and they should be thrilled with a guy like Cutcliffe, who wants to be there and makes them semi-competitive at times)
2100790, Duke's gonna give Cutcliffe everything he wants.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Dec-31-12 01:36 AM

>so uh, unless Duke finds the next Nick Saban, and keeps him
>for 30 years, they'll remain what they are -- a mostly
>irrelevant ACC team (and they should be thrilled with a guy
>like Cutcliffe, who wants to be there and makes them
>semi-competitive at times)

We'd be overjoyed to make it to the Belk Bowl every year. Cutty is our boy as long as he will stay with us.