Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectHe was behind my worst nightmare during the 90s....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2030147&mesg_id=2114262
2114262, He was behind my worst nightmare during the 90s....
Posted by Beamer6178, Fri Jan-18-13 12:39 AM
>this aint the first time you said it either...give me some
>insight and how he would better fit our squad then Roman.

Lots of cats may have forgotten because he's spent a good part of his career head coaching, but he is an offensive WIZARD but just SMART about shit too. Look at how the Cowboys were run. They had a very accurate strong armed quarterback and big powerful receivers who could have easily put up disgusting numbers but what did they do close to the goal line? hand it off to their reliable running back and let their line beat motherfuckers back. Smartest course to take and it yielded a lot of fucking wins and two Super Bowls (I think he left after the 2nd title to go to Washington).

Miami and San Diego offenses were fucking beastly during his tenure as OC. You'll remember he was our OC back for one year in 2006, Alex's best year before Harbaugh showed up. He looked competent and was headed on the right track, who knows where his career would be now. Of course Norv got picked up by the Chargers as HC...the dude is GREAT with quarterbacks and maximizes his running game. Trying to manage a whole team diverted his attention from his real talent.

Although I don't know for certain when and where Harbaugh puts his fingers in on the offense, Roman gets too cutesy with too much passing and untimely "trick plays" and has shown a lack of feel for the game when it's counted the most. We've only lost 6 games the past two years, but very few of those games seemed unwinnable; the times they have, its usually been on some bullshit with our offense rather than straight incapability.

Playoff games last year - New Orleans hasn't had a good D for SEVERAL years, yet we deviated from the ground game that had gotten us there all year. Game should never have gotten close. DITTO for the Giants game, forget Kyle's bullshit and Bradshaw's fumble that wasn't called; they couldn't stop Gore for SHIT, yet we passed on first down WAYYY to many times which left us in bad spots and too many third and longs even though both Alex bombs to VD were play action following runs by Gore.

This year v. the Giants, the score was 10-3 at the half; rather than continue to run, it was totally abandoned. The formula is pretty damn simple and he deviates from it during times when we need to the least.

I don't HATE Roman, but he's frustrated the shit out of me during key moments. Norv knows how to simplify it for his players while making it hard as fuck for the opposition. Quarterbacks always do better, and running backs put up career years with him. The shit speaks for itself. 14-2 San Diego would have won a Super Bowl with him as OC instead of Cam Cameron's wack ass who went away from LT even thought he was GASHING the Patriots for almost 7 cards a carry during that bullshit ass playoff game. Cleveland seems to have a solid running back in Richardson. Watch him exploit that shit to death next year.