Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectI would have made the same post before these last 2 1/2 games
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2030147&mesg_id=2079358
2079358, I would have made the same post before these last 2 1/2 games
Posted by OldPro, Mon Nov-26-12 03:45 PM
In fact I'm pretty sure I've posted something along these lines a couple times on here

But we've now had a good long look at Kaep and it's changed everything. Not that he's arrived and everything will be peachy from here on out... but we've seen enough to know the kid can handle the speed of the game and make solid reads. The ability part was never really in question but I will say his level of accuracy has been a pleasant surprise.

Unlike some of the football 'experts' on here I don't think this is about Smith as much as it is Kaepernick. The staff knew Kaep had the ability but coming off a 13-3 season and nearly missing a super bowl meant they couldn't just turn things over to a second year QB... especially after Smith has the season he did. But I think he really opened some eyes starting in training camp and on into the regular season, both with his play on the field and in practice. Smith's concussion gave them an opportunity to take a peak at just how far along Kaep had really come. The Ram game gave them enough of a taste and Harbaugh was clearly intrigued... but I still think they would have went back to Smith the following week had he been fully healthy. When Alex was slow to recover and Kaep got the start vs the Bears the door was then opened. In fact, told my daughter the day of the Bear game that Kaep had a chance to play himself into the starters job with a great performance. Now with the Saints game also under his belt it's clear to the staff and most everyone else that his mental development is far enough along that it's a reasonable gamble to tap into his talents.

The idea that Smith has somehow been exposed and his haters have been redeemed is comical... had Smith never been hurt he'd still be leading a team to the playoffs and potentially to a Super Bowl. This is about Collin Kaepernick more than anything. Those that disagree can start their argument by listing all the other backups in the league the 49ers would have sat Alex for Sunday. No this isn't a Joe vs Steve controversy but it damn sure isn't JT O'Sullivan vs Shaun Hill either.