Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectI still think it's more playcalling right now
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2030147&mesg_id=2043591
2043591, I still think it's more playcalling right now
Posted by Beamer6178, Mon Oct-01-12 09:46 PM

>
>No you are raising some valid points. I'm a little concerned
>too... not so much with his unwillingness to go down field but
>rather his accuracy when he does take the shots. I mean I'm
>not expecting him to be Drew Brees right now but he's shown
>improvement in every area over the last year, so I expected
>the same progress would come along in the deep passing game
>too. I said last week it was too early to worry about this
>type of shit... but honestly the Jets game has me reevaluating
>that. He missed Randy for a TD last week but this Sunday was
>worse imo. I counted at least 3 potential big plays where he
>either missed his target or checked it down instead. As you
>said, maybe old habits die hard but I need to see growth in
>this area... and I need to see it soon. Alex tends to be more
>comfortable throwing the ball at home so let's revisit this
>after the upcoming 3 game home
>stand.
>
>But yeah man I'm seeing it pretty much the same way you are.
>

similar to how you called sing's demise not based on record, but details, it's the same thing i'm doing here. i don't know if our team or any team does the bill walsh "first 15 plays script" but they seem very unwilling to adjust or change things up when the situation calls for it. Also it's the reluctance to put pressure on the defense as often as possible. They did a good job of it sunday, but the Jets are reeling, had we been firing on all cylinders, we'd have beat them 56-0. I don't know if Alex is going to be able to just turn it on and off like that, having spent the better part of his career OUT of rhythm and the way the offense is still very risk averse makes me wonder if the wraps will EVER be taken off when not necessary (with our defense 20-0 deficits like we had to philly last year are few and far between). I'm less worried about Alex barely missing his guys than I am Kap throwing the first deep ball to Randy all year long. Manningham is working nicely into the offense but I'm really puzzled as to what their intentions with Randy are.

If Alex was able to do what he did last season with what he had to work with most of the year, I'm not concerned about his ability to do it with more talent. I just want to see MORE attempts. Shit he only threw the ball like 21 times. In a game like yesterday with such a big lead it makes no sense that they didn't try to work on some deep stuff since they had a cushion to work with.

but generally LOL at what we discuss now as opposed to two years ago what we were talking about. how times have changed.