Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectSchilling has only himself to blame
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2730968&mesg_id=2730993
2730993, Schilling has only himself to blame
Posted by pretentious username, Wed Jan-27-21 09:13 AM
There was a good article in the Athletic by Joe Posnanski about why he would no longer vote for/defend Schilling and I thought it summed it up well. I have no love for the voters but I have even less love for this guy.

https://theathletic.com/2250850/2020/12/11/top-mlb-outside-the-hall-of-fame-curt-schilling/?source=user_shared_article

I have written repeatedly that he was one of the greatest pitchers of his time and that his career is way above the Hall of Fame line. I wrote that even after he was suspended for tweeting out a meme that seemed to draw comparisons between Muslims and Nazis. I wrote that even after he was fired from ESPN for promoting a transphobic meme. I wrote that even after he retweeted a “joke” about how awesome it would be to lynch journalists. I wrote that after he baselessly attacked Black NASCAR driver Bubba Wallace. After he challenged the legitimacy of a high school student who had endured a mass shooting. After he continues to spread bile and misinformation and division.

I don’t feel like writing it anymore.

Yes, I do believe Schilling was a great player. But I’m done. This year, for the first time, I will not vote for him. If the Hall of Fame really is an honor and not just an acknowledgment of baseball greatness, well, one thing I feel very sure about is that Curt Schilling doesn’t deserve it.

Sure, Schilling and his fans will say it’s about his conservative politics, but that’s a steaming crock of nonsense. I assume just about every player I’ve ever voted for the Hall of Fame is conservative politically. Heck, Mariano Rivera is probably the most prominent athlete who publicly and loudly supports Donald Trump — a position I’m sure Schilling envies — and Rivera is the only player in baseball history elected unanimously.

I can assure you that the vast majority of Hall of Famers are conservative. Get these guys together and, believe me, it looks and sounds an awful lot like a diner near you where old pals get together weekly to sit around eating eggs and bacon and talk about how great the Eisenhower days were.

And that’s fine. Who cares about their politics?

No, of course, it isn’t Schilling’s politics. It’s his nastiness. It’s his intolerance. It’s his compulsion to troll. Curt Schilling pushes anger and fear and hatred. Every day he divides, every day he offends … and all the while, he makes sure to note that those he offends deserve it, and bleep ’em if they can’t take a joke, and if they happen to have a Hall of Fame vote they should give it to him anyway because he was a damn good pitcher, particularly in the big games. I’ve done that for eight years. He was a damn good pitcher, particularly in the big games. I still rank him as one of the 100 greatest players in baseball history. But I’m not voting for him. I suspect he will get into the Hall of Fame anyway, and that’s fine. He doesn’t need my vote. He shows every day he doesn’t want my vote.