Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectsenior year of high school.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2388838&mesg_id=2388922
2388922, senior year of high school.
Posted by Mr. ManC, Tue Nov-11-14 06:44 PM
Last game of the season, state championship game. 3rd Quarter and we are winning 28-0. I'm playing left tackle and sweep out to my left and head down field to block the safety. Safety sees me, but instead of trying to tackle the running back he decides to take out my right knee.

65 yard carry, back tackled at the 1 yard line. Me: torn ACL/MCL.

Since then I've had 4 reconstructive knee surgeries: two to repair the MCL and two to repair my ACL. I got a replacement ACL from a cadaver (vs grafting one from my tendon/hamstring....don't see any point in messing up one perfectly good thing trying to fix another).

I honestly could use probably one more surgery but my Mom lost her job and insurance like 2 weeks after my 4th surgery. I'm functional enough, can lift pretty strong, play bball still and work jobs that require physical labor. But I can't clamp on defense like I used to, pushing off my right leg laterally is a bitch. And it hurts sometimes but nothing crippling, and cold weather is a mofo.

I'd suggest to be patient with your rehab. When they fix it it's going to feel good after about 2 weeks but you AREN'T fixed yet. Stay within your protocol. Having said that be aggressive when and where you are instructed. Do every rep of what is prescribed, all leg lifts and heel drags etc. It will pay off. And if you do rehab 2 days a week in a facility don't forget that you can still do some training at home and it will only help.

Go ahead and get some icepacks now so you and rotate them, and ice down with a pack inside a wet pillowcase. Works a lot better. Heat is good so have too so maybe have a pack that can be hot or cold. A small trampoline is great for single leg stands (once you get that far) to help with balance and coordination.

And if they ask you last minute if you want an epidural or spinal block to help with pain DONT GET IT. My first surgery they tried that with me to "numb my right leg" to help my painful trip home be easier. Instead they numbed BOTH legs and I had to stay in the hospital 3 days until it wore off.

Any questions you have feel free to shoot them this way. But as involved at the procedure is you should be fine. It's not so scary 8)