Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectplay Bradley's spot now or play Bradley's spot in four years?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2343309&mesg_id=2344066
2344066, play Bradley's spot now or play Bradley's spot in four years?
Posted by celery77, Fri Jun-27-14 08:51 AM
>Question for MLS heads, who else you got that can take
>Bradley's spot. I feel like that's the ONLY real area of
>concern for the US.

We don't have anyone that can play Bradley's spot now. In four years, hopefully Wil Trapp and Luis Gil will also be part of the USMNT central midfield, but by that point Jones and Beckerman will likely be out anyway, so someone has to come through.

But everyone needs to stop hand-wringing over Michael Bradley. His work rate has been not just good, but the best at the World Cup. NO ONE through three games has covered more ground than him, and his shift included 95 minutes in Manaus. He actually ran the MOST against Germany, following his long plane trip out of the jungle. Also, his passing percent is 84.6% after group stage, saw that he was 42/50 yesterday, including 6/9 on long balls. Jermaine Jones, by contrast, is in the low 70s% passing (I looked for the stat I saw yesterday putting Jones AT 70% after the group, but I couldn't find it again). After a game where the US gameplan yielded 35% possession, you can hardly lay that at the feet of Bradley. His work rate and passing game have been vital to the US midfield, and it can't be replicated by anyone else in the US -- not Jones, not Beckerman, not Cameron, no one in the US pool can put in that kind of work and act as a fulcrum all the way from the defensive third to the final third.

The GOOD NEWS is, yes! Michael Bradley can play better! It's that sort of thing which should help build hope going into Belgium. But Bradley has not been "bad," he's just been less than stellar. He's been unbelievably vital to the US midfield, helping free up the game of those around him and doing more pressure and defensive work than anyone, but yes hopefully we will see him start to take over the game in the final third a bit more going forward.