Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectI thought it was great!
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=748598&mesg_id=748652
748652, I thought it was great!
Posted by stravinskian, Tue Jul-18-23 10:02 AM
Self-consciously avant-garde at times, but it's Macbeth. We hardly need a 'conventional' Macbeth film at this point. The woman who played the three witches was amazing. Denzel and Frances were great as well, especially Denzel.

As for the brothers: I don't think we really know if there was a falling out or if they just wanted to try some of their own things. Looks more like the latter, since they're already planning their next project together again.

Ethan has a solo movie coming up this September. Well, not solo, as he co-wrote, directed, and edited with Tricia Cooke, his wife, who's also done editing work for decades including most Coen movies. The movie is 'Drive-Away Dolls', an exploitation-style road comedy centered on two young gay women around y2k. Might be great (the trailer evokes Raising Arizona comparisons), or it might be shit (the last thing the brothers did in this broad comedy realm was The Ladykillers), but I'm looking forward to finding out.

From these two solo efforts, it looks like Joel is the artsy Coen and Ethan is the wacky Coen. I'm looking forward to the balance being restored.