Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectHaha I could be okay with that.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=744106&mesg_id=745649
745649, Haha I could be okay with that.
Posted by stravinskian, Tue Aug-09-22 04:13 PM
But yeah there would be backlash.

I really think, intentionally or not, they're doing the same thing they were accused of in Breaking Bad: giving us four episodes in a row that each speak to different elements of the story, so each one could work, itself, as a finale.

'Nippy' closed out the story of slippin Jimmy and the simple pleasures of outsmarting people when the stakes are low. It even showed him enjoying life in the cinnamon roll industry again. If people stopped there they could assume Gene finds peace as Gene.

'Breaking Bad' closed out the story of Jimmy's self destructive addiction to 'the game' and his unhealthy fixations on others. If you stopped there you'd wonder what happens after he breaks that window but you'd know it's not good and the details are no longer important.

'Waterworks' (arguably) closes out the story of the schism with Kim Wexler and what's left of the Jimmy who would remember the names of the old ladies' cats. If you stopped there you might assume that Jimmy saved Gene from Saul and he continues on the lam, but that's all he'll ever get.

But 'Saul Gone' will hopefully bring all this together and remove the ambiguity between these elements of the story (probably in ways that aren't perfect but do the job as well as it can be done).