Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectWhen the fate
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=738405&mesg_id=738685
738685, When the fate
Posted by jane eyre, Sun May-10-20 01:57 AM
of Philip, Elizabeth, and Paige is decided during the final episode of "The Americans," I cried for real and it caught me by surprise. For years, my aunt kept telling me watch the show. I finally did last year. She be knowin'.

>AND, I’ve found it very hard to find teen shows that aren’t so damn sexual. I >want to watch shows with my tween and teen that won’t make me and their father >squirm. We are by no means ‘prudish’. It seems to jump from animated
>flicks to Young Adult. With no middle.

I get it. It's disturbing!

Have y'all watched "To all the Boys I've Loved Before?" The lack of scenes where there are teens engaging in explicit sexual behavior is refreshing. The main character is half Korean, half White. Important cast members are teenagers, too.

--The Half of It. It just came out on Netflix. It's about a lonely Chinese American teenage girl who lives in a small town. By the end of the movie, she makes a friend and also develops feelings for a girl. It has depth and messaging about being vulnerable and your true self. Nothing explicit.

The Asian teen story is kind of having a showing on Netflix, right now.

Shows not featuring teens, but still possible viewing for a family with tweens and teens:

--Jane the Virgin. It's underrated magic!! It's a creative, funny spin on the telenovela with a big heart that focuses on values and the meaning of family. The characters are lovable and it's easy to feel connected to their lives.

--No Good Nick. Warning...it can be corny and feels like a mediocre Disney or Nickelodeon show. The acting is bad. Half the time the writing is, too. But. It's this weird show that encourages young people to exercise their ethical and moral imaginations. The premise is interesting: a teenage girl runs a con on an unsuspecting family who takes her in, so that she can seek revenge against them. She runs a con in every episode, and of course has to struggle with wanting revenge and her growing affection for the family. Maybe not for the teen crowd because of the corny factor...but tweens? I can see it.

--New Girl.

--Crazy-Ex Girlfriend. This makes the list as one of my favorite sitcoms. It's probably too much for a tween, but not a teen. Overall, there's nothing explicit, but the show loves to give a lot of explicit verbal and visual winks and a nods.

--Nickelodeon's Avatar: Last Airbender series. It's a cartoon and a classic for all ages!! GOAT.