Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectDamn.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=734238&mesg_id=734258
734258, Damn.
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Wed Apr-03-19 05:55 PM
This looks good, the trailer at least.

As far as Zazie being in a potentially problematic movie, I think she's in a difficult spot.

She may object to the aspects of the movie, but she is an actor and she wants to tell stories. Sometimes even if the part isn't written well. Also, she's not at a point where she can dictate which parts she wants. That list of actors, (white actors included) is relatively small and wouldn't include an actor who has only begun to creep into notoriety. Mahershala only recently got on that list and it took winning an Oscar.

I say this because an woman actor, who's a friend and is Black, recently mentioned that she wouldn't mind playing a maid. Now the role she mentioned was an iconic role in a play, I believe. (I can't remember the name of the play.) She talked about her drive as an actor to play interesting roles and how limited the buffet for non-stereotypical roles is for Black women actors.

It made me rethink my arrogance regarding Black actors who play roles which don't subvert stereotypes and accept that blaming an actor for the role they choose isn't necessarily fair. Especially when people further up the food chain who approve scripts who could better influence positive representation.