Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectBlack Mirror Bandersnatch (Netflix, 2018)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=733055
733055, Black Mirror Bandersnatch (Netflix, 2018)
Posted by Castro, Fri Dec-28-18 09:47 PM
Netflix picked the perfect series to test out a 'choose your own story' format.

Set in the 80's, a young video game programmer turns his favorite book into a video game, but is the code driving him crazy...or something else?

I don't want to put any spoilers out there. Apparently, there are 5 possible endings and all kinds of possible story combinations.

I watched it with my better half and niece and we had a good time choosing the story using a roku remote.
733061, The technical execution was better than expected.
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Sat Dec-29-18 12:26 AM
Making choices was pretty seamless, and it wasn't as disruptive as I thought it would be. While you can kinda tell when the movie has switched to the scene based on your choice, it's very clean.

I did find that some of my choices led the film to work itself back to a previous fork in the road, which forced me to rewatch a scene again. Not a deal breaker, just annoying. I know this is just the beginning, but I like where this is going. Like stated by the OP, this was a great pairing between Netflix and Black Mirror.

(also really dig the metal head shout out. One of my favorite episodes).
733063, That's what makes this so promising. It was smooth.
Posted by Castro, Sat Dec-29-18 12:38 AM
I didn't expect it to be Dragon's Lair slow, but it still surprised me how it moved right along once you made a choice.
733064, After two hours and 40 minutes
Posted by nipsey, Sat Dec-29-18 12:49 AM
my wife and I finally took a break from watching. We got close to a dozen different endings.

This film is so layered. There are easter eggs that lead you to various websites. Like the Tuckersoft website where you can download Nohzdyve.

Here: https://tuckersoft.net/ealing20541/history/

It's so crazy. Reading through the comments in this reddit thread shows how deep the rabbit hole goes. Only visit if you've gone through a good portion of the movie paths and/or don't mind the spoilers.

https://www.reddit.com/r/blackmirror/comments/aa98fs/bandersnatch_endings_thread/

Also, I love how all the dialogue speaks directly to you, as a viewer of "Bandersnatch". Conversations about choice, or lack thereof are so meta. This was really impressive.

733071, Cool concept, excellent execution, mediocre episode n/m
Posted by seandammit, Sun Dec-30-18 02:02 PM
733072, I thought it was brilliant
Posted by Duc999, Sun Dec-30-18 06:47 PM
A interactive movie that lets you control the action where the main character contemplates not being in control all the while the movie itself forces your actions so that you're not really in control. Then you're asked to contemplate whether you're in control.

The loops and layers upon layers and 4th and 5th wall breaks. I enjoyed it.
733078, I think this is one of those better in theory than execution...
Posted by Vertigo, Sun Dec-30-18 10:27 PM
I would describe this as similar to looking at 360 degree pictures...it's cool for about 5 seconds, but after that you want to see the image that the photographer intended for you to see rather than stare at random background objects that aren't really that interesting.

This style of a movie doesn't speak to me at all--In the end, I want to see the filmmakers vision on screen, not a series of side adventures. But I didn't know that going into this--because I've never experienced a movie like this before--but if you're into all the easter eggs and such, this will speak to you, but if you want to watch a story, you'll find this tiring/boring/etc. I hope this was a one off for black mirror, because it's a very good show.
733151, Add the 5D movie experience to this list.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Tue Jan-08-19 10:21 AM

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
733350, this shit was amazing
Posted by BigWorm, Fri Jan-25-19 10:22 AM
A great way to tell the story, but also a great story apart from that.

When the main character starts to battle with the therapist and his own father, I was like "I am on board for wherever this movie goes."

One of the best things I saw in 2018. Black Mirror does it again.
733363, I didn't care enough about the characters to keep watching
Posted by spirit, Sat Jan-26-19 08:37 AM
Feels like they got more caught up in the technique than making the characters compelling.

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com
733384, I absolutely loved this
Posted by Dae021, Mon Jan-28-19 11:12 AM
My father inlaw and I went through it. He had never seen anything like it, so he was really into it.

I enjoyed it tremendously.

I'm going to go back and start doing different stuff to see how it plays out.