Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectThe Favourite (Yorgos Lanthimos, 2018)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=732700
732700, The Favourite (Yorgos Lanthimos, 2018)
Posted by bwood, Sun Nov-25-18 11:57 AM
Yo this shit is crazy and vicious.

Bound to alienate most who watch it, but I was laughing almost the entire runtime. Can't wait to see this again in a theater as the sound mixing is incredible (I watched it on a DVD screener).
732727, I caught the trailer, well a commercial for this yesterday
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Mon Nov-26-18 09:18 PM
This looks hilarious and well acted. Reminds me of Love & Friendship, the Beckinsale movie from a couple of years back. Also a period piece with melodrama between royals but well executed all around.

Looking forward to seeing this at some point.
732729, It's a fucking OUTSTANDING movie. An absolute must see.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Nov-27-18 12:55 AM
More accessible to audiences than Lanthimos's previous works, but maintains so much of what's made his work so singular and special. Give all these actors the Oscars.
732787, It's very well made, just not my cup of tea
Posted by Deebot, Mon Dec-03-18 09:56 AM
Enjoyed the Lobster and Killing alot more.
734436, agreed.
Posted by will_5198, Sun Apr-21-19 02:55 PM
it has a lot of Lanthimos stuff I love, but I didn't really fall for it
732821, a wonderfully vile tale
Posted by benny, Fri Dec-07-18 10:55 AM
somehow made some quite nasty moments thoroughly enjoyable, thanks to the superlative acting by the three leads (and what a year for Weisz who was also exceptional in Disobedience), with Lanthimos moving the film along at a galloping pace. His now idiosyncratic tracking shots worked wonders here, as did the Dogma-ish lighting. The script is razor-sharp, letting go of historical accuracy to spend a bit of time wallowing in the absurdity found in a royal court.
Colman is incredible, nothing new here, but deserves all the acclaim for displaying the humanity, spaciness and ferociousness of a very lost Queen in equal measures. And how great to have her reunite with fellow Thick of It alum James Smith. Also really enjoyed Nicholas Hoult as the dandy opposition leader, possibly the bitchiest of them all.
732827, uhhh not sure why I had Colman on TTOI, nevermind me
Posted by benny, Fri Dec-07-18 01:57 PM
732832, thought i would like this more than i actually did
Posted by Crash Bandacoot, Sat Dec-08-18 03:14 PM
the set design was cool but, kind of a forgettable movie.
732966, I should have that last shot figured out by now...nice return to form
Posted by jigga, Wed Dec-19-18 11:45 AM
didn't dig Yorgos last one too much

Not quite as good as The Lobster overall but some really cool elements (cinematography most notably) here that made this enjoyable

2nd performance from Emma Stone I've liked after Birdman now too