Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectWatched it late on Sunday and it kept me up most of the night
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=732553&mesg_id=732651
732651, Watched it late on Sunday and it kept me up most of the night
Posted by B9, Tue Nov-20-18 09:15 AM
A ton to digest and jump around on, hard to compartmentalize and fully reckon with it. I think arguing the sequence is fair, especially given the heaviness of The Gal Who Got Rattled going right into Mortal Remains, but if the overarching theme is the cruelness and folly of life, it works as a pummeling whole to end that way. Only real qualm is the rote and predictable Coen-ness of Near Algodones, but that they can distill their style and voice into 10 minutes or so of a complete story says how masterful they are in what they do. I know alot of people aren't liking the title piece much compared to the rest, but, personally, I would have liked another 5 or 10 minutes of that absurdity. Meal Ticket, and Harry Melling's acting, is the one that stuck the hardest. Fairly obvious allegory but his expressiveness when not on the stage was perfect.

So that it got a limited release pre-Netflix debut, is this eligible for the Academy? There are some technical elements that should be recognized.