Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectwatched a bit more
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=732154&mesg_id=732801
732801, watched a bit more
Posted by xangeluvr, Tue Dec-04-18 04:25 PM
and quite honestly i found myself a bit bored. this show wants so frickin' bad to be Parts Unknown only for the martial arts instead of food/culture, but it lacks any sort of depth that PU had. lacking is the intelligent commentary, the insightful discussions, the sincere affection and respect tony showed for the people and culture, and just the general lack of a solid story being told in each episode. instead all that is replaced with too much of frank grillo's high fives, bro hugs and general fan boying. its so annoying. then the talking head segments where he is trying to relay his thoughts he often just comes off disingenuous, or insincere to me.

the show is shot well, the cinematography is generally pleasing. really though that's about it. they need some better writers, directors, or something to better plan and flesh out these episodes.

the show says its not a show about fighting, it's about the fighters, but again the story is so weak and the material so surface level that i don't feel that i really learn much about them at all.