Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectI managed to catch this a couple of weeks ago
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=730932&mesg_id=733023
733023, I managed to catch this a couple of weeks ago
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Wed Dec-26-18 12:07 AM
My sister's friend told her about a screening at the Arclight and the three of us saw it.

I still don't know what to make of this movie. It was well acted, well shot, well written, paced well. The score was amazing.

But I didn't emotionally connect to this movie for whatever reason.

I'm not sure quite why tho. I think it may have been the filmmaking style. For whatever reason I was expecting something subjective but more traditional like Moonlight.

I randomly watched Moonlight earlier in the month and thought Beale St. would be a continuation of that style.

This was more subjective than Moonlight in some respects with the vignettes cutting from the main timeline of Fonny in prison and his love history with Tish. The music was more prominent to me than I expected as well.

It's not that I don't like stylistic or arthouse touches, or at least I did. I loved Moonlight and Malick is one of my favorite directors.

But I think my expectations were a lot different for Beale St. than Moonlight and the movie disappointed me not because I anticipated one film and watched something different.

That being said, Regina is GAWD and I hope this movie maybe wins an adapted screenplay award.

I plan on seeing this again. I may finally get what I am wanting from it on another viewing.