Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectlet's be realistic though
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=730661&mesg_id=730877
730877, let's be realistic though
Posted by BigWorm, Tue Jul-31-18 06:37 AM
His juvenile tweets probably had little to do with it.

That's all it was: Juvenile shock humor. About on the level with that dude we all knew in high school who kept telling dead baby jokes. I didn't find it particularly funny, but I didn't think any more of it than I would from an episode of the Family Guy. And let's not forget that he actually apologized for AND deleted these tweets YEARS AGO.

For instance, Jhonen Vasquez, comic artist and creator of Invader Zim, has said stuff even more twisted and morbid on Twitter. Not only did he get a job with Nickelodeon, but Invader Zim is getting a reboot movie within the next year. And in his case, he's apologized for NOTHING, and those tweets are still live. In fact, I'm sure plenty of celebrities/comedians are tweeting worse stuff for shock value as I type this.

James Gunn just pissed off the wrong people--and I wouldn't be surprised if some of those people were within Disney/Marvel.

Yes, Disney knew about the tweets. They also knew this was the guy who came from Troma films, and made Super for Christ's sake.

Let's not just act like Disney was trying to do the right thing, because this is pretty much like them firing Robert Downey Jr. over the crazy shit he did while drunk and coked out back in the 90s.