Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectI enjoyed this quite a lot (small SPOILER at the end)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=729961&mesg_id=732271
732271, I enjoyed this quite a lot (small SPOILER at the end)
Posted by BigWorm, Mon Oct-22-18 06:40 AM
Everyone's opinion is valid, but I don't agree with the other player. I think the writing is just fine.

I didn't think it was that scary/creepy, but slasher films don't really unsettle me. BUT more than even a horror movie, I saw this as a movie about how a woman's PTSD as a survivor of a massacre 40 years ago destroys her relationship with her family, and how the only way she can restore that relationship is by facing the demon from her past.

I think it ends on a perfect note, and I hope there's no sequel. There will be, though, and it will totally ruin the effectiveness of this movie.

The Bad: the same problems with the original apply here. First, how the fuck does Michael Myers even know how to drive a car? Second, Myers somehow always seem to know exactly where to go to find the people he wants to kill. How does he know to go to this gas station right when certain people will be there? How does he know exactly where Laurie Strode's super bunker hidden in the woods is located? How does he even know how to get from the prison to Haddonfield? Dude was caught long before the GPS was invented. You have to just ignore this shit and go along for the ride.

The Good: Jamie Lee Curtis owns this. Judy Greer is decent for most of it, then has a significant moment near the end that had the audience cheering. I only caught some of the references/easter eggs to previous films, but the ones I did catch had me grinning. A scene with Myers in plain sight just going from house to house jacking up the neighborhood was really effective. And again the climax was perfect to me.

SPOILER
If Laurie Strode spent her whole life in training, waiting for the chance to kill Michael Myers, I don't believe that she would just ride off into the sunset while the house burned down with Myers in it. She would stand outside the house and watch that shit burn down to ashes, just to make sure Myers was legit dead this time. He survived being shot point blank and falling out of a house the first time. This time she would definitely watch him burn and look for his remains once the fire went out. I know they were leaving it open for a sequel but it didn't jive with the character.