Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectA really good film with REALLY great elements
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=729895&mesg_id=732941
732941, A really good film with REALLY great elements
Posted by navajo joe, Mon Dec-17-18 08:52 PM
It's a little unwieldy and loses some of the threads along the way but there is so much to love that while it may wobble at times, it never falls. All of the female leads give tremendous performances as does most of the supporting cast especially Kaluuya. He's an actor that can really do anything (leading actor, supporting actor, iconic villain).

One of my beefs with the film is Bryan Tyree Henry's limited screen time especially considering how captivating his performance and fascinating his character was. What do we get instead? More Colin Farrell as the conflicted Chicago politician apparently raised by the Kennedy's. That's a trade off the film suffers for.

McQueen is the current undisputed master of the long-take. While most director's use them to add sizzle he uses them as a story telling tool. Everyone else is using them to highlight stunt work he's out here using them to tell integral parts of his story to get his audience to think and feel.

Is it trying to juggle too many themes? Sure. Does it throw in a twist that belongs in a lesser film? Yes. Does said twist actually come as a shock because you expected better? For sure. But in the end, this is as 1970s a crime thriller you're gonna find in these days in times. I'd say it's more Girlfriends of Eddie Coyle than say Set It Off. I think this one is going to age well.