Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectI did read superhero comics as a kid, but the funny part is
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=728622&mesg_id=733845
733845, I did read superhero comics as a kid, but the funny part is
Posted by BigWorm, Wed Mar-06-19 11:50 AM
Outside of Spiderman, I didn't read ANY of the comics of the superheroes currently in the MCU.

I did read Infinity Gauntlet, so I knew The Snap was comic, but that's about it.

Dr. Strange, Iron Man, Hulk, Captain America, Black Widow, Thor, Guardians of the Galaxy, Black Panther...I didn't read any of those comics back in the day. And in the late 80s/early 90s they were not popular titles. It was all about Spiderman, Xmen and the Xmen spinoffs.

In fact if I recall that's part of why the MCU is the way it is; to stay afloat Marvel had to sell off the rights to it's most popular superheroes.

My excitement now is just based on how well Marvel/Disney has evolved these previously unpopular heroes and slowly built up the universe. It's in the spirit of the comics, but outside of Easter eggs here and there, it doesn't rely on the comics as required reading.

I think most of the fanbase is that way, where the main draw is that it's in the spirit of the comics, and that it's one of the most effective cases of a shared universe being brought to the big screen. I still think it's incredible that they pulled that off, even if not all of the movies were amazing.