Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectUltimately: Very boring
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=728172&mesg_id=735439
735439, Ultimately: Very boring
Posted by handle, Wed Aug-07-19 01:23 PM
I was bored through a lot of it. I honestly thought about walking out about 30 minutes into it.

There was so much just showing LA and the "scene" that I didn't really feel connected to - but that's obviously what interested QT (and may of you here) - and it's pretty obvious to me that he would not have been accepted in that scene in the 60's. It's a lot of smoking and laughing and dancing and wiggling and ..ugh. not my scene.

There were so many times in this film where we were listening to bumpers on the radio or snippets of songs and characters are having no interaction at all I felt like I wasn't watching anything at all. Sure they changed the signs and it's neat to look at lobby cards but nostalgia doesn't make a good film for me.

This could have been a tight 90 minute throwaway movie. Roger Corman or The Shaw Brothers didn't make 2:40 minute movies. This should have been the short cut of Death-proof in length.

It's missing the QT dialogue from Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction and even Jackie Brown. Remember KB1 had the over the top violence AND dialogue??

And the over the top reaction from my crowd when the final fight happens shocked me. It went from being cathartic to being hateful. Vigilante movies have always had these kind of reactions - I definitely felt the same thing when watching Falling Down in a theater - like the crowd around me thought they were righteous but they were just aggrieved and then bloodthirsty. (Falling Down is a movie where people definitely come away thinking the bad guy were good guy.)

Knowing what we know having the Manson Family I definitely like that their crime was thwarted and people lived. But the frenzy in my crowd as they had their skulls crushed, face mauled, and were set on fire made me reexamine my feelings about watching it. I was on board for the first seconds of the fight - but by the end it seemed like

And if QT wins best Director or Best Film for this film I'll find it sad. This is no Reservoir Dogs, or Pulp Fiction, or Jackie Brown, or Kill Bill Volume 1.