Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectit could be better
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=727516&mesg_id=728312
728312, it could be better
Posted by Jon, Thu Mar-08-18 06:58 PM
Don't get me wrong, its in my top 3 of Marvel movies, mostly because the highs points are so damn good and its also the most emotionally resonant Marvel movie i can remember, for whatever that's worth.

But stepping away from the catharsis of its existence, judging it purely as a film, it had PLENTY of flaws and shortcomings that i'd really like to see improved upon in another Black Panther movie.

Like so many of these movies, the action was downright silly, people looking like BS computer blips just flying around the screen nonsensically with no tangibility whatsoever while the world around them turns into a CGI meltdown...every once in a while you could actually kind of make out what the digital figurines were doing in relation to each other and their "environment"...when their knee wasn't flying past a vague armpit or something.

The plot had some serious shortcomings too, but i have to go check on the food.

And honestly, its too late now, but i really wanted at least the first Black Panther movie to have very little or nothing to do with the world outside of Wakanda and its immediate neighbors. Making it into such an overt analog for American experiences cheapens the power of the core concept, and making the outside world such a big part of the story just kinda squandered a chance to really show the idea of a hi-tech futuristic African society that's been completely removed from all outside influence.

Meanwhile, we barely got a taste of Wakanda. They could have really did a proper deep-dive immersion into this environment and unique society. They went the cheap route, making sure American audiences could relate, because apparently audiences could never relate to Middle Earth or Tatooine?

That, and now that they went and announced themselves at the UN, i feel like the possibilities to ever show Wakanda in its glory are gone.

...in my head, there's a Black Panther film that blows this one away...and i know i'm not alone