Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectThis is what I mean.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=727432&mesg_id=730532
730532, This is what I mean.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Jul-11-18 04:56 PM
I agree all in her head ending can be cliched, easy to see coming and predictable. I just think it would be new and interesting twist on that if it's arguable that everyone in the family (except the husband) was crazy because schizophrenia runs in their family.

That would have drove home the hereditary theme and not required the movie to be entirely from her perspective. They only blew this as a workable theory by having shots of crazy shit happening not from the point of view of Charlie, the Mom or Peter. That only really happened at the end when the audience could see things like the crazy old people and mom crawling on the wall and peter could not see it. Leave those shot out and it's different movie where we can speculate that the whole family was crazy. I also say leave that shot out because the audience snickered and laugh at them when they saw them.

>Only the rarest of horror movies can effectively pull that
>off without it seeming like a dodge, because the "it was all
>in her head!" ending is about as disappointing as a movie's
>ending can be, so realistically, we know we're either heading
>for (a) it's real, or (b) a shitty disappointment.
>
>If anything, I thought they were still trying too hard to sell
>the "is she crazy?" angle even after we already knew she
>wasn't, that this plot was real. Shit or get off the pot. Or
>keep the entire movie from her perspective, which I think is
>the only way the "is she crazy?" angle could've effectively
>played for the entire film.

Yeah, it's only a slightly different edited story if only crazy shit happened from the perspective of the mom, daughter and son yet it would have added a whole new meaning to the movie and given us some ambiguity for us to talk about an explore. They were sooo close and it would have neutralized a lot of the hate and criticism in this post.

>
>Thoroughly enjoyed the movie, just a very minor nitpick that I
>feel could've improved the execution.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"