Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectvery disappointing (SPOILERS)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=721481&mesg_id=733325
733325, very disappointing (SPOILERS)
Posted by BigWorm, Wed Jan-23-19 12:04 PM
The first two-thirds were good. Some say it was slow, but I enjoyed it.

Killing off all three main characters? That might have worked, BUT, unlike The Beast and Mr. Glass, David Dunn's did not get closure to his story arc. Like, at all. Dude just gets dragged out and drowned in a little ass pond. Even though he was able to break his way out of a vat of water. I don't think it justified bringing his character back.

The first twist? It could have been good. The Secret Organization is a very old comic book trope, so sure, I was okay with that. The problem was that 1) why didn't they just kill them off right from jump? 2) Why in the world would they try to convince the three that they were mentally ill, meanwhile going out of their way to put them in rooms according to their weaknesses? 3) Sarah Paulson did NOT give a strong enough performance to pull off that twist. If they had cast Toni Collette or Tilda Swinton, it might have worked. But Paulson's character was so dull, her being the big mastermind just fell flat.

As for the second twist, it was okay, but not enough for me. Afterwards I was saying to my wife, if on top of how it ended, the building Mr. Glass talked about actually did blow up, it would have been WAAAAY better. It would have said "Superheroes are among us, and me blowing that shit up shows that you need them."

Overall, good idea, really poor execution.