Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectI liked it, I get the issues tho
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=721481&mesg_id=733271
733271, I liked it, I get the issues tho
Posted by BigReg, Fri Jan-18-19 04:53 PM
Spoiler free section:

I liked Unbreakable and thought it was an underrated film trying to show you can have a 'superhero' movie in a different direction before the onslaught of Marvel movies (which I love).

Split, I thought was an aaight horror movie until the plot twist showing it was part of a trilogy which left me speechless on some, 'Look at the balls on M.Night, well played sir'. So finding out the full trilogy got greenlit I was happy to see if he could pull off the landing after setting up such a lofty goal.

Which I think he does.

Considering the only thing before this movie linking Split and Unbreakable together was a minute and a half scene, it's an admirable job how well he pulled off a movie universe/trilogy in this film. Imho both movies got the sequel they deserved here, and seeing a bunch of cameos of the older characters worked well and organically.

So as a Trilogy it works. As an individual movie tho, it's got its flaws

*SPOILERS MOTHERFUCKERS*

The twist Bwood mentioned above he's right on, its either gonna work for you or not. For me I was fine with it because its a pretty popular comic trope (shouts to Billy Stryker(c)X-Men 2 and underrated comic but soon to be cancelled up and coming Amazon video series 'The Boys')

Because I felt something was 'off' about Paulson I was waiting for that shoe to drop; the whole movie didn't make it too out of the realm of disbelief for me.

That said, since the tone of the movies have been very close to the chest and more about interactions between characters so having this omnipresent organization seems outta left field, particularly since M.Night is pretty heavy handed with his hints and he didn't really set this one up.

Also my not believing Paulson might be because ive binged a shitload of American Horror story in the past few months and she was def. in that acting zone as opposed to lets say American Crime Marsha Clark ; there was going to be a shoe to drop.

Outside of that possible flaw, only thing I aint like was while her presence in the movie gave homegirl from Split a good sendoff, lolz@ her therapeutic purpose and lolz@ somehow kinship with the Horde. Also Sam Jack's momma...I know black don't crack but good lord that was some horrible makeup to age her up, shouldda just gave her a grey wig or recasted the character.

I also loved the illuminati restaurants, reminded me something out of an intentionally off kilter thriller IE Mr.Robot or John Wicks 'Continental' , even though like the clover cops it felt like not of this 'universe'