Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectSaw it a second time yesterday.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=718496&mesg_id=725264
725264, Saw it a second time yesterday.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Oct-10-17 11:30 AM
The only bit I'd have considered cutting is Leto's stuff. Both of his scenes convey important information, but they could've easily had Love convey that info elsewhere and kept Wallace in the shadows-- or maybe brought him out for only one scene. They probably just wheeled Leto out to (a) have another "name actor" on board and (b) let Deakins shoot the incredible visual of the naked woman sliding out of the bag. Would've only really saved 5ish minutes, and it doesn't prevent me from loving the film, but all the same.

The rest of the movie honestly does a great job of conveying a TON of stuff without bogging itself down too much with exposition-- it's a big reason why the movie is so long, because it'd prefer to show instead of tell. It still tells a decent amount, because the world is so incredibly distinct, but I was still amazed, especially by the early scenes, at how little they actually spell out. The first scene between K and Joi delivers sooooooo much information in addition to character stuff. All sci-fi film writers should study that scene to see how you can set up complicated tech ideas in simple ways that serve character simultaneously.