Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectNocturnal Animals (Tom Ford, 2016)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=717736
717736, Nocturnal Animals (Tom Ford, 2016)
Posted by Anfernee, Wed Nov-23-16 09:11 PM
Amy Adams is having a beast of a month, man.

My dude Jake G kills it here too.

Tom Ford should be some kind of designer or something, because this shit was beautiful to look at and the narrative structure was perfectly executed.
717738, RE: Nocturnal Animals (Tom Ford, 2016)
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Wed Nov-23-16 10:21 PM
>Tom Ford should be some kind of designer or something, because
>this shit was beautiful to look at and the narrative structure
>was perfectly executed.

Tom Ford is actually a high-end men's fashion designer. He made another movie, A Single Man, which is also really visually stylish.

The trailer looks okay. I wasn't sure if this movie would be good, but hearing your positive review points me in the direction of carving out the time to watch the movie.
717739, Ha... I was just playing, man.
Posted by Anfernee, Wed Nov-23-16 10:59 PM
>Tom Ford is actually a high-end men's fashion designer. He
>made another movie, A Single Man, which is also really
>visually stylish.

Sorry, I know who he is and I was just being a facetious dick.

>The trailer looks okay. I wasn't sure if this movie would be
>good, but hearing your positive review points me in the
>direction of carving out the time to watch the movie.

It's very much worth it. The "film within a film" device is sometimes a risky move, but they definitely pulled it off here.
717746, Watched my DVD screener last night
Posted by bwood, Thu Nov-24-16 09:52 AM
Once you get past the first five minutes, it's aces.

I thought the opening credits were exploitative of overweight people to be honest.
717747, i wanna see this
Posted by Crash Bandacoot, Thu Nov-24-16 10:24 AM
>
717766, this was amazing. best movie of 2016 for me. the cast killed this
Posted by Hellyeah, Sat Nov-26-16 04:56 AM
jake amazing

adams amazing

shannon AMAZING

but it's Aaron Taylor-Johnson who stole the show. i was legitimately terrorized every time he was on screen

the fact this is sitting at 72% on RT is absolutely ridiculous
718230, damn Michael Shannon is in it?
Posted by GriftyMcgrift, Sat Dec-10-16 08:42 PM
love that guy, probably my favorite character in BE
718463, not only is he in it - his performance is a masterwork
Posted by dba_BAD, Sun Dec-18-16 02:58 AM
really something special
717853, thumbs up
Posted by Crash Bandacoot, Wed Nov-30-16 01:12 PM
stylishly cold
717917, Boy oh boy, I'm gonna be in the minority on this one.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sat Dec-03-16 01:33 AM
I mean, yeah, it's beautiful to look at, with gorgeous costumes and soaring music and strong histrionics from the actors.

But I kept thinking of the expression "you can't polish a turd." Ford really tries polishing here big time. But in the end, it's just hollow sadism and cynicism. I didn't think it had anything to say, other than The Themes It Says Out Loud In The Dialogue.

Two high notes:
1. Michael Shannon, who comes in and saves the fucking movie every time he's on screen.
2. The mockery of the art world. I was roughly a billion times more interested in Ford making fun of those people than the book plot, but then we'd cut back to Gyllenhaal screaming and Adams staring off into the middle distance from bed.
718128, That intro though
Posted by Boogiedwn, Wed Dec-07-16 08:32 AM
Ford is almost there, there is a lot I liked about this movie but the forced dialogue is a major take away for me. Specifically the convo with Amy's character and her mother.
718229, Great film.
Posted by blueeclipse, Sat Dec-10-16 06:25 PM
Tom Ford did a masterful job with the structure in this film and the performances were nuanced and convincing. I will agree that some of the dialogue in the flashback sequences was trite but I understand what he was trying to do there.

Michael Shannon continues to be one of the best and least bullshit actors working today. He just blends into to anything he steps into and does more with less than most. Awesome performance.
718429, This Was the WORST MOVIE I've seen in YEARS!
Posted by Case_One, Fri Dec-16-16 10:08 PM
Fam, if my lady hadn't drug me to this hot mess I would have walked out. I fell asleep no less than 4 times. I Swear I wanted to punch Tom Ford in the neck for this mess.
I'd love for you to buy my book:

Order Here:
https://www.createspace.com/5827547 OR http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Prayvolution

www.jeromejcase.com
718462, I thought it was phenomenal
Posted by dba_BAD, Sun Dec-18-16 02:51 AM
like maybe not the most meaningful story of all time, but just stunningly crafted, from all sides

i don't know that the final scene was necessary
718795, This one missed me by miles.
Posted by SoulHonky, Wed Jan-04-17 02:20 AM
Not much to say; I just didn't care for this one. Tried to read some reviews to figure out what I missed and I felt like I watched a completely different movie. I turned if off after 10 minutes or so last night and I'm annoyed that I finished it instead of watching Edge of 17 instead.