Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectI dig Karnak but I'm enjoying it as the bad show that it clearly is
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=717471&mesg_id=725602
725602, I dig Karnak but I'm enjoying it as the bad show that it clearly is
Posted by kevlar skully, Tue Oct-31-17 12:28 PM

but let's be real, it's bad. I don't know what the point is in producing & releasing a bad product but that's what they did. This was their chance to make Inhumans cool, likable and popular but it's hard to watch this show and imagine that they actually made this with the hope that it would be well received. It seems like they made it just to make it, which seems stupid.

I'm a lifelong true believer and the Guardians of the Galaxy were obscure to me yet Marvel took those characters and turned them into one of their biggest franchises. You would think Marvel would want to do the same thing with Inhumans but they made this shitty show instead. I'm enjoying it because these are kooky Jack Kirby/Stan Lee characters but the show is very short on charm.

Visually, the show is boring. Karnak in the hoodie is the only character that looks cool. Why doesn't Black Bolt have his cool costume and mask from the comics? I don't know. Just like Iron Fist, they took a character from a visual medium with a flashy colorful costume and put his TV adapted character in a dress shirt... why?

Lockjaw looks good but the rest of the show is bland. The color grading is boring, it lacks an interesting or mood setting tone.. it's just grey/normal. Daredevil, Jessica Jones & Luke Cage all have a cool noir feeling but, to me, Agents of Shield, Iron Fist & now Inhumans just look flat.

The storytelling & dialogue is basic. You can finish characters sentences before they do or know exactly what the next character is going to say in reply... not exactly riveting television

There really isn't a lot to like here. I binge watched the first 3 or 4 episodes one late night and was just enjoying how oddball these characters are but in an age of really amazing TV, I'm not going to sit here and pretend this is a good show.

Great shows like "Stranger Things" are available. If I had to choose between Inhumans and American Horror Story: Cult? It's not a contest. This is no "Better Call Saul", feel me? I still watch "the Wire", ok?

So I'm not going to sit here and act like The Inhumans is a good show or even giving me something relatively new like Jessica Jones & Luke Cage did. It doesn't matter if I can't remember the last time I've read an Inhumans comic, I still feel they deserved better than this show. I still feel like the could have been really cool, popular and honestly could have come to rival/replace the X-Men in some well received fashion but Marvel seem like they didn't even really want to try to do that for some reason. They just made a bad show with these weird characters for no real reason. Karnak is pretty cool though.