Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectMan.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=715405&mesg_id=716923
716923, Man.
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Thu Oct-27-16 02:29 AM
You know the movie is good when you like it but are having to invent ways to bring up ways to describe and illustrate what was just watched.

I can't say enough positive things about this movie. The acting, the cinematography and camera work, the sound design, the design of the characters were amazing.

The director did a good job of immersing the audience in an environment which is blighted and distinct but gave it a sense of normalcy. I don't know much about Liberty City and Miami except from movies, but while the drug trade and the social dynamic were shown as being destructive, it was shown as a backdrop for the story rather as as a factor in the emotional turmoil of Chiron.

Also, the way the story dealt with the sexuality of Chiron was endearing and remarkable. It wasn't sensationalized or thought of as abnormal. The constraints the outside world were shown to be outrageous and heartbreaking, but not the reality of Chiron's sexuality.

The ending was really well done and no matter the interpretation you have of the ending, it is heartwarming.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to see this again.