Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectAre new stand-up specials "less good" then the old ones?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=715033
715033, Are new stand-up specials "less good" then the old ones?
Posted by handle, Fri Aug-19-16 10:47 AM
I like comedy and stand up , but lately I haven't really enjoyed a lot of 1 hour specials. Is it me, or could it be that the quality is waning? (I agree - it *could* jsut be me.)

I think there are more 1 hour specials now than ever before - and that maybe the comedians don't have the time to hone the jokes to be "hour long special level" anymore.

In the past they'd have been a segment on Def Comedy Jam, or Young Comedian Special, or Evening at The Improv btu would get a full hour.

HBO and CC used to have both 30 minute and 1 hour specials - but lately everyone has a full hour - and often a full hour every 12-18 months.

I think Carlin even took 2 years between shows - and several a couple of his later show were not funny at all - but I think he was clinically depressed at that point.

Examples of comedians where I like their first hour specials - but not their most recent special(s):

David Cross
John Mulaney
Amy Schumer
Louis CK
Patton Oswalt
Hannibal Burress
Mike Birgiblia
Jimmy Carr
Marc Maron
Jim Jefferies
Kyle Kinane

And some that I never enjoyed but have new hour pretty often:
Craig Fergeson
Aziz Ansari
Chelsea Peretti
Ali Wong
Anthony Jeslnik

I did like these recently (look at it - all super white.)
Nate Bargatze
Paul F Tompkins
Eugene Mirman (although it was "thin")

This is just IMHO and I'm curious if anyone else is feeling the same way.

715036, There's a few reasons for it.
Posted by Ryan M, Fri Aug-19-16 01:20 PM
First is that it's a comedy boom and everyone wants their hour special. There's more outlets for these specials than ever before - and places like Netflix are making tons of them because they need original content. To put it simply, "specials" are less special than they used to be. It's not necessarily bad, but it can dilute the quality.

I also think people are just more savvy than they used to be...the omnipresence of comedy is creating really smart comedy fans, and so people aren't as impressed with some specials. You probably have fond memories of specials you saw as a kid and those specials probably aren't that good, just like movies.

Still - plenty of good stand up specials out there for sure. You noted a bunch of them, but there's tons.
715044, This is it right here.
Posted by soulfunk, Fri Aug-19-16 05:12 PM
>To put it simply,
>"specials" are less special than they used to be. It's not
>necessarily bad, but it can dilute the quality.

Back in the day they weren't going to be able to do specials every year like some people are currently doing. Noone was gonna fund it and it was a big deal to get one. So if they did a special - it was SPECIAL...they would test material out for a year and get it all honed down to the best ish and have all the best timing and the best crowd interaction. Now it isn't special though - there are so many outlets to release something that it isn't as risky to put something out. So you have people releasing stuff that isn't as vetted and honed in.
715038, Its just people who go around saying people old shit is better
Posted by Heinz, Fri Aug-19-16 03:04 PM
because their earlier shit was a "Secret" that they had over other people. Its hard to really get past peoples opinion versus their "old news" mentality.

Everything is amazing...till the rest of the world finds out about it.
715041, I don't think that's the case for me (but it could be)
Posted by handle, Fri Aug-19-16 03:37 PM
>because their earlier shit was a "Secret" that they had over
>other people. Its hard to really get past peoples opinion
>versus their "old news" mentality.
>
>Everything is amazing...till the rest of the world finds out
>about it.

Comedy was never secret - or not after 1984. Once Letterman hit we all talked about comedy at school.

I lived through the 80's comedy boom but there were not nearly as many HOUR long specials.

I'm think less hour long specials and more 15 minute sets on hour long shows would be better.

Are there any more shows like that now? Last one I can recall is the John Oliver one.
715047, I meant the individual comedian we find before they blow up
Posted by Heinz, Fri Aug-19-16 10:32 PM
We always like them more in the cool new secret stage lol
715040, yea I just saw the new Louie one on Netflix last night. let down
Posted by Nodima, Fri Aug-19-16 03:11 PM
there was some good stuff but half of it was sex jokes and I'm not coming to Louie for sex jokes, let alone 30 minutes of them. at one point my girlfriend said "what is this, trying new material? why is this public?"

it was doubly disappointing because we'd just seen him August 3rd and dude CRUSHED it. the set he's touring on right now is up there with any of his best sets I've seen on film but the shit in the Comedy Store special is borderline garbage at times.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz
715042, Bo Burnham's new special, though.
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Aug-19-16 04:22 PM
A great special is still great. There are just more specials out there, either from good comics that aren't great or from great comics trying to put a new special out there when it could've used a bit more honing.
715043, RE: Are new stand-up specials "less good" then the old ones?
Posted by go mack, Fri Aug-19-16 04:54 PM
Recently watched Bill Burr's last one and Gaffigan's Obsessed, both were 2014 I think but new to me. I really was laughing at some of the stuff. I tried Louis CK's latest too and didn't make it far, usually find him hilarious too.
715046, all of Bill Burr's specials are great
Posted by justin_scott, Fri Aug-19-16 09:03 PM
715795, ^^^^^
Posted by Castro, Tue Sep-20-16 06:44 PM
715050, "Godfrey-Regular Black" on Showtime is pretty funny
Posted by tully_blanchard, Sat Aug-20-16 09:20 AM

Bottoms up....and the devil laughs..

http://soundcloud.com/rayandersonjr
716004, came off self-hating to me
Posted by DVS, Wed Sep-28-16 02:19 PM
I couldn't get past the 1st 20 minutes or so.

D
715054, I'm gonna blame the internet/cell phone camera
Posted by CaptNish, Sat Aug-20-16 11:22 AM
Sarcastically, but with a hint of truth.

I think comedians are too quick to the specials. I think they don't road test and refine the acts enough to make stellar specials. And I don't think it's out of laziness. I think it's because they're trying to get the material out there before it's reviewed/spoiled/uploaded to youtube/etc. I also think the lack of showcase shows hurts as well. Used to be you see a guy give a solid 5-10 on a show and you'd seem him on a bunch of different shows and you'd pull for him and hope that he'd get a special. And doing those shows like that, they'd mold and craft those jokes into perfection. Now, Louie's got everyone throwing out their hour the minute it airs and writing a new one, and most of these dudes and ladies don't have a strong enough hour to begin with.
715056, Give the new Dave Attell special a shot
Posted by mrshow, Sat Aug-20-16 12:53 PM
It's just great joke after great joke. Hands down the best comedy special I've seen this year.
715793, I'm trying to watch the Jay Pharoah special and it's awful
Posted by Rjcc, Tue Sep-20-16 02:52 PM
he's just...not good, has anyone watched, does it get better later on?

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
715794, Pharaoh is absolutely a Frank Caliendo.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Sep-20-16 03:18 PM
Except Frank Caliendo's material is funnier.

Like, Pharaoh's voices are *perfect.* But his material, whether in stand-up or at some awards show, is always *painfully* unfunny to me. Even on SNL, when the whole sketch is centered around one of his impressions, they're so rarely funny.

His material is YouTube perfect. Say like two or three lines, move to the next awesome impression, two or three more lines. When he dwells on an impression, he starts doing "material," and that almost never works for me.
715819, I just don't get how he can still be so bad.
Posted by Rjcc, Wed Sep-21-16 04:33 PM

715796, He is an amazing voice actor. That's it.
Posted by Castro, Tue Sep-20-16 06:44 PM
He can make you laugh with his talent for mimicking, but he ain't got any jokes.
715820, not a one.
Posted by Rjcc, Wed Sep-21-16 04:33 PM

715797, Mike Epps anyone?
Posted by Castro, Tue Sep-20-16 06:45 PM
*crickets*
715812, Saw him several years ago & still regret it...Martin Lawrence tho?
Posted by jigga, Wed Sep-21-16 09:57 AM
Saw about a minute of a recent Showtime "special" & he was tellin the same jokes from way back when

DVR'd it outta curiosity but not sure when I'll get back around to it
715863, Martin is touring, so I wonder if he has some new material.
Posted by Castro, Thu Sep-22-16 05:14 PM
715881, He better...he was still doin the, "white people get high & wanna kill
Posted by jigga, Fri Sep-23-16 09:52 AM
4 people" bit when I turned it off
715813, I think we become accustomed to comedians also
Posted by Y2Flound, Wed Sep-21-16 10:28 AM
We see so much of these comedians now, like the first reply about specials being less special.

I've seen Louis CK so many times in so many places. It's really hard for him to still come on stage and make me amazed.

When we first discovered these standups we love we fall in love with their style, delivery, ways they address issues and topics in new ways when we've seen them covered 50 times already etc...

After a while we get used to them doing that and they don't feel new or fresh anymore. Comedy isn't like music where you can just reinvent yourself on a new album and blow people away with a new sound. Comedians are who they are.
715824, apparently cedric the entertainer has one on netflix.
Posted by Reeq, Wed Sep-21-16 05:00 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PxVkMHaTdw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z--eZBHjphE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89bdn8pbkYY

none of those clips made me wanna peep it.
715862, Its better than most, but not as good as Ced is live.
Posted by Castro, Thu Sep-22-16 05:13 PM
715874, just watched it. i had to go look this shit here up:
Posted by Reeq, Fri Sep-23-16 04:41 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNVguvNE7qc

lol
715879, LOL. Ced did his homework.
Posted by Castro, Fri Sep-23-16 08:17 AM
715831, I thought that specials aren't as good as they used to be, but...
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Wed Sep-21-16 08:01 PM
I think the reason is that comedy is so much more diverse and there are so many more styles that comics have to cater to more narrow audiences which means their jokes often don't cross over.

Maybe my description isn't very precise, but what may seem as a fall off in quality is more a reflection of jokes not intending to be funny to a wide segment of the comedy audience like Cosby or Pryor wanted to reach.

In other words, it may not be the comics, but the differences in tastes between sub-segments of audiences that exist and can be reached.
715865, I found Bill Bellamy's Crazy, Sexy, Dirty surprisingly funny
Posted by Laz aka Black Native, Thu Sep-22-16 05:20 PM
i can't look at Apple Jacks the same anymore
715867, I recall mostly liking that
Posted by Rjcc, Thu Sep-22-16 06:42 PM

715909, Todd Barry - the Crowd Work Tour is AMAZINGLY HILARIOUS
Posted by ToeJam, Sat Sep-24-16 07:54 AM
I don't lol much at recorded stand-up but this is truly amazingly funny. I think it's probably still on Netflix. You don't need to hone material for years for it to be great. Though he has honed his crowd working abilities thoroughly.

Check it out, let me know what you think.
715921, Content is King
Posted by Jasper T. Reddbone, Sat Sep-24-16 08:20 PM
"Its hard to stop making money to be funny" - Richard Pryor

Comedians tryna get this paper like everybody else mayne
and right now the game says pump out as much content as possible
(specials, movies, tv, web series, podcast, etc)
Quality be damned

So I empathize with comedians for these reasons
Cats gotta spread themselves thin now & the standup suffers
But alotta comics are eating good from it

So youre damned if you do comedically & damned if you don't financially
715952, Netflix is just giving away standup specials.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Mon Sep-26-16 02:18 PM

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
715953, David Cross last special was just bad bad bad
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Mon Sep-26-16 02:20 PM
It just sounded like some dudes from the General Boards bashing the right many times without a joke anywhere buried in there.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
715954, I watched it and can't remember a single minute of it
Posted by Rjcc, Mon Sep-26-16 03:03 PM

716001, I fell asleep at a live performance of that material :/
Posted by ToeJam, Wed Sep-28-16 01:43 PM
716003, Mike Birbiglia's "My Girlfiend's Boyfriend" is awesome
Posted by DVS, Wed Sep-28-16 02:18 PM
it plays more like a one-man show than a standup. One of the better stand up performances I've seen in quite a while.
716087, I'll check it...
Posted by ToeJam, Sat Oct-01-16 07:06 AM
...saw Don't Think Twice recently and thought it was close to brilliant.

Also, what up, DVS.