Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectMarvel's The Runaways
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=714981
714981, Marvel's The Runaways
Posted by bwood, Wed Aug-17-16 01:35 PM
'Marvel's Runaways' Headed to Hulu

With Josh Schwartz & Stephanie Savage to write and showrun!

Marvel Television will be bringing the fan-favorite and ground breaking comic book series, RUNAWAYS, to popular streaming service, Hulu.

Every teenager thinks their parents are evil. What if you found out they actually were? "Marvel's Runaways" is the story of six diverse teenagers who can barely stand each other but who must unite against a common foe--their parents.

"We've known the Runaways' story would make great television," said Jeph Loeb, Executive Producer and Head of Marvel Television, "and being lucky enough to have Josh and Stephanie--who have time and again created shows that speak so genuinely to this exact audience--write and produce the series is nothing short of remarkable."

"I'm a long-time fan of Runaways and couldn't be more excited to bring Brian and Adrian’s characters to life," said Schwartz.

Adds Savage, "Josh and I can't wait to get to work for Marvel and Hulu."

"Marvel’s Runaways" is Executive Produced by series Co-Showrunners/writers Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage ("The O.C.”, “Gossip Girl") along with Marvel’s Head of Television, Jeph Loeb (“Marvel’s Jessica Jones,” “Marvel’s Luke Cage”) and Jim Chory (“Marvel’s Daredevil,” “Marvel’s Jessica Jones.”) "Fake Empire's" Lis Rowinski will produce as well. "Marvel's Runaways" is a co-production with ABC Signature Studios.

"Marvel’s Runaways" for Hulu is based on the comic created by the award-winning team of Brian K. Vaughan and Adrian Alphona.
Share:

More on Marvel.com: http://marvel.com/news/tv/26608/marvels_runaways_headed_to_hulu#ixzz4HcI0Odkb
714982, Anyone else think it's fucked up that this is on Hulu?
Posted by bwood, Wed Aug-17-16 01:44 PM
And not Netflix or ABC or any other Disney related channel?
714986, It wouldda been perfect for Disney
Posted by BigReg, Wed Aug-17-16 02:41 PM
>And not Netflix or ABC or any other Disney related channel?

Although them dabbling with LBGTQ issues might have scared the higher ups.

While Hulu has been stepping up their original programming game, this seems like a missed opportunity. It might have even done well in Netflix even with their Marvel properties skewering towards adult since Runaways was more in line with YA fiction like Hunger Games then pure kiddie stuff.
714987, So why not ABC Family
Posted by bwood, Wed Aug-17-16 02:46 PM
or whatever the fuck it's called now?

I just think it's fucked up that you now need Hulu on top of the movies, the Netflix shows, the ABC shows to be a completest.

Hulu has some good content, but their service and platform is hella shitty.
716330, people are still on hulu?
Posted by boyd, Fri Oct-07-16 12:46 PM

its fucked.

abc's freeform or netflix.

716331, Yeah, this is a Must Win for them.
Posted by SoulHonky, Fri Oct-07-16 01:12 PM
They lost CW, more networks are finally waking up and having their own streaming apps/sites, they're losing the Criterion Collection in November. They need to start knocking it out of the park with original programming.
727219, Disney buying Fox ...
Posted by Nappy Soul, Thu Jan-11-18 03:42 PM
Means Disney now owns Hulu doesn't it? The 2nd season of Marvel's The Runnaways might not be on Hulu as we know it.
714983, Some quick info on who they are
Posted by bwood, Wed Aug-17-16 01:48 PM
http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/08/17/marvels-runaways-is-coming-to-hulu

Marvel’s RUNAWAYS Is Coming To Hulu

Just when you thought you were done with that service.

By DEVIN FARACI Aug. 17, 2016

There's been one Marvel property that the internet has been slobbering over forever: Runaways. That was in development before the MCU launched, and every year people pop up to wonder if we will ever see it get translated to the big screen. Well, wait no more - Hulu has ordered a Runaways series from The OC/Gossip Girl honchos Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage, which should give you some idea of what sort of tone to expect from the show.

Maybe you don't know what to expect from Runaways at all because you have no idea what it is. That's reasonable: the book was intensely popular with its small-ish fanbase and the characters from it haven't quite made a crossover to the mainstream in Marvel Comics. The premise is both simple and awesome: a group of kids band together and run away from home when they realize that their suburban parents are secretly supervillains. They use their inherited powers/their parents' tech to battle The Pride, the name of their moms and dads' supervillain group.

The announcement of the show doesn't mention which characters will be on the team in this iteration, but the classic line-up - created by Brian K. Vaughan and Adrian Alphona - is:

Niko - a witch who can use dark magic.

Karolina - an openly gay extraterrestrial, her parents are Hollywood stars when they're not being secret supervillains.

Molly - the youngest of the group, she's an 11 year old with super strength and invulnerability.

Chase - the bro of the group, he uses his mad scientist parents' flame gloves, the Fistigons.

Alex - the child of mob bosses, he has a heightened intellect.

Gertrude - her mom and dad are time travelers, and she has a telepathic connection with a velociraptor named Old Lace who is her best bud.

There are other members who join later, but one later member who is introduced in the first issue is Victor Mancha, a cyborg created by Ultron.

It's a diverse team - Alex is black, Niko is Asian, Gertrude is chubby, Victor is cloned from a Latina - and it's a great group of characters. I never quite understood why the Runaways, like the Young Avengers, sort of faded out of the comics as I think they're some of the best and most interesting characters Marvel has introduced in the modern era.

It's a great idea for a show, but I'm curious what kind of a budget Hulu throws at it. Runaways without Old Lace just isn't Runaways.
714988, I wonder what they're going to do with Alex; he was wasted in the comics
Posted by kevlar skully, Wed Aug-17-16 02:47 PM
I also wonder how salty BKV is he didn't make this book an indie & how much money Marvel is going to make on original characters he created only decade or so ago
714984, One of the Marvel properties with the most potential for a TV adaptation
Posted by stylez dainty, Wed Aug-17-16 01:52 PM
716170, Marvel's 'Iron Fist' Writer Tapped For 'Runaways' — What Does This Tell Us About The Future Of Marvel TV?
Posted by bwood, Mon Oct-03-16 11:24 AM
http://moviepilot.com/p/marvel-iron-fist-writer-runaways-mcu-tv/4107757

Marvel's 'Iron Fist' Writer Tapped For 'Runaways' — What Does This Tell Us About The Future Of Marvel TV?

ust a month ago, we learned that Marvel and Hulu are working together to bring Marvel's Runaways to life! The catch is, Marvel TV has a lot of projects in the works, and often they seem to go very quiet. We've not heard anything about Cloak and Dagger since April, for example, and Damage Control doesn't seem to have gotten off the ground. So Marvel fans know to keep their ears to the ground for news before they get too excited about a series.

We finally got the news we were eagerly awaiting, when Tamara Becher — writer of Marvel's Iron Fist — tweeted that she was beginning her next job, and included an image of the Runaways. ScreenRant spotted the tweet, and soon the news was starting to make its way across the Internet. In a fascinating twist, though, a check on Tamara Becher's Twitter will tell you that her informative tweet has now been deleted.

What Does This Tell Us?

Tamara should have kept this secret! Image: Marvel Comics
Tamara should have kept this secret! Image: Marvel Comics
We can safely assume that Tamara Becher didn't make this up, so we know that Marvel is making progress on Runaways. We also know it's only at the scripting stage, pretty much confirming that the show isn't going to release until 2017 at the very earliest. What we don't know, though, is whether or not Tamara Becher is working on the whole series or just the pilot.

The fact Becher deleted the tweet is also informative, suggesting that Marvel had intended to keep this under wraps. It makes me wonder about the status of other seemingly dormant Marvel properties; there may well be other writers at work on, say, Cloak and Dagger or New Warriors who knew better than to publicly Tweet about their involvement. So, this curious teaser gives us a new excitement for all Marvel's TV projects.

What Can We Expect From the Pilot?

The brilliant Karolina Dean! Image: Marvel Comics
The brilliant Karolina Dean! Image: Marvel Comics
The original Runaways comic was created by the legendary Brian K. Vaughan and Adrian Alphona back in 2003. The concept was simple: a bunch of kids discover that their parents are actually a gang of supervillains! It was a tremendously fun generational conflict, inverting the 'fear of youth' that's so familiar in modern culture.

The Runaways pilot will most likely give us the iconic origin of the team (fans would never forgive the series for using a different plot there). That origin necessarily sets up the pattern for the whole series, with the kids coming into conflict with their supervillain parents. That doesn't necessarily mean that further episodes will follow the classic comic book arc, of course, as it involves everything from a surprise betrayal (would that really be such a surprise if it's simply repeated on the screen?) to a deal with demons!

Whatever the future may hold for Runaways, I think the most exciting takeaway from this is that Marvel's making progress on their TV slate. For a while now, the future of Marvel has been seeming to be on Netflix; I'm excited at the idea of greater tonal diversity across new, untested channels. Bring on the Runaways!
716171, Runaways connection in Doctor Strange?
Posted by bwood, Mon Oct-03-16 11:25 AM
https://www.inverse.com/article/21461-doctor-strange-marvel-the-runaways-connected

As the premiere date for Marvel’s Doctor Strange draws closer, details are quickly emerging, including a possible tie-in with Marvel’s upcoming Runaways adaptation.

Ryan Penagos, Vice President and Executive Editor at Marvel, recently tweeted details of what he saw on the Doctor Strange set a couple months ago. Penagos was quick to praise the film’s production and design, giving particular shout-outs to the costumes worn by the main cast.

He also reveals that Doctor Strange’s prop game will be strong, citing the Ancient One’s weapons and a detailed, “mechanical” look for Strange’s Eye of Agamotto. The Eye of Agamotto is a pendent that allows Strange to see hidden truths and reveal secrets. It’s basically a tool that would give Strange all the deductive powers of Sherlock Holmes, another Benedict Cumberbatch character on BBC’s Sherlock.

27 Sep
Ryan Penagos ✔ @AgentM
Some strong comics references for #DoctorStrange - classic Ditko stuff; the Oath (by BKV & Marcos Martin); rad 70s Marvel blacklight posters
Follow
Ryan Penagos ✔ @AgentM
We learned that The Ancient One is a title, not a name. #DoctorStrange
12:32 PM - 27 Sep 2016
31 31 Retweets 44 44 likes
The most interesting detail from the set, however, might be a possible easter egg tucked away in the film. Penagos revealed that he saw some concept art for the film that included designs for characters named Drumm and Minoru. Both Daniel Drumm and Tina Minoru appear in the Doctor Strange prequel comic released by Marvel earlier this year. As of yet, however, neither of these characters are listed in the film’s cast.

Seeing design concepts for Tina Minoru could mean that she and Drumm will make a surprise cameo in the film. Minoru’s appearance would be especially interesting given that she is Nico’s mother in The Runaway, the critically acclaimed comic that will receive a live-action adaptation on Hulu, according to Marvel.

Doctor Strange fights the Minorus in Marvel Comics
Doctor Strange vs Tina Minoru
In the comics, Tina and her husband Robert are dark magicians who are part of the villainous organization known as The Pride. Along with the rest of the members, the Minorus control all of the crime in Los Angeles as supervillains right up until their children gain powers and join forces to fight them. Their daughter, Nico, is one of the main members of the Runaways, and like her parents she also uses magic.

It’s unclear exactly how much of Tina Minoru audiences will see in Doctor Strange, but even if it’s just a brief cameo, it will help quickly establish a connection between the upcoming Runaways show and the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Doctor Strange hits theaters November 4.
719468, The cast...
Posted by bwood, Thu Feb-02-17 06:37 PM
https://news.marvel.com/tv/59021/marvels-runaways-finds-cast/

'MARVEL'S RUNAWAYS' FINDS ITS CAST
Published Feb 2, 2017 By Marc Strom

Meet the six stars of the upcoming television project with Hulu!

The wait is over. Marvel has found their “Runaways.” Marvel Television announced today the first group of young actors has been set for “Marvel’s Runaways,” the highly anticipated project with popular streaming service, Hulu.

Every teenager thinks their parents are evil. What if you found out they actually were? “Marvel’s Runaways” is the story of six diverse teenagers who can barely stand each other but who must unite against a common foe–their parents.

Rhenzy Feliz
Rhenzy Feliz (“Teen Wolf,” “Casual”) as Alex Wilder is a loud-and-proud nerd. Admittedly a bit of a loner, Alex spends much of his free-time playing video games, but deep down, what he wants most is to reunite his childhood group of friends.

Lyrica Okano
Lyrica Okano (“The Affair,” “Unforgettable”) Nico Minoru–tough, intelligent, and independent–embodies teenage angst. A budding “Wiccan,” Nico’s carefully crafted goth appearance isolates her from her peers and family, but maybe what she really needs is someone to talk to.

Virginia Gardner
Virginia Gardner (“Goat,” “Little Bitches”) as Karolina Dean, model-perfect exterior with a lot going on behind her professionally whitened smile, is burdened by the lofty expectations and responsibilities put upon her by her parents. Underneath her veneer of privilege and perfection, Karolina is experiencing a newfound eagerness to explore her identity and pursue her own desires.

Ariela Barer
Ariela Barer (“New Girl,” “One Day at a Time”) as Gert Yorkes is a purple-haired, bespectacled, contemporary riot grrrl. Never passing up a moment to stand on a soapbox, Gert sometimes wields her persona as a brash social justice warrior to mask her true feelings.

Greg Sulkin
Gregg Sulkin (“Faking It,” “Don’t Hang Up,” “Anti Social”) as Chase Stein is a lacrosse-playing, high school heartthrob. While many write him off as a dumb jock, Chase exhibits flashes of untapped brilliance in engineering, not unlike his wildly successful father’s.

Allegra Acosta
Allegra Acosta (“100 Things to do Before High School,” “Just Add Magic”) as Molly Hernandez, the youngest and most innocent member of her friend group, is known for her peppy positivity and a deep yearning to belong.

“The fun and chemistry that this group of talented actors create is wonderful and we’re so excited to bring these beloved characters to life,” said Jeph Loeb, Executive Producer and Head of Marvel Television.

Runaways comic co-creator and series executive consultant Brian K. Vaughn added, “I’m so excited for fans of the comic to watch this perfect cast of amazing actors, all of whom embody the spirit of their characters more than I ever could have imagined.”

“We have had a total blast bringing Brian and Adrian’s amazing story to life. We’re so happy they love the Runaways we’ve assembled as much as we do,” added Executive Producers/Showrunners Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage.

Additional cast will be announced at a later date.

“Marvel’s Runaways” is executive produced by series showrunners/writers Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage (“THE O.C.,” “GOSSIP GIRL”) along with Marvel’s Head of Television, Jeph Loeb (“Marvel’s Luke Cage,” “Marvel’s Iron Fist”) and Jim Chory (“Marvel’s Daredevil,” “Marvel’s Jessica Jones.”) Fake Empire’s Lis Rowinski will produce as well. Marvel’s Runaways is a co-production with ABC Signature Studios.

“Marvel’s Runaways” for Hulu is based on the Marvel comics created by the award- team of Brian K. Vaughan and Adrian Alphona. The book has won an Eisner, a Harvey and was featured as one of the Young Adult Library Services Association’s best books for young adults
726885, Yo this shit's been really solid b.
Posted by bwood, Tue Dec-26-17 04:29 PM
Has the best production value of the Marvel shows so far.

Love like The Punisher, this stuff is disconnected from the MCU.
727177, RE: Yo this shit's been really solid b.
Posted by JiggysMyDayJob, Tue Jan-09-18 01:51 PM
Since the MCU hit, I've been slowly turning her into a comic nerd by getting her into shows and then buying her the trades so she gets more. Out of all the shows, she loves this one and Jessica Jones.

They really did a good job on this show and the changes compared to the comic fit really well and the writing makes for good viewing. I came in kinda meh on the show but after watching, I'm all about this. Way better than The Gifted and I'm sure will be leaps and bounds better than whatever Cloak and Dagger turn out to be.

Also, I need an emotional support Raptor.
727164, Renewed for Season 2 by Hulu.
Posted by bwood, Mon Jan-08-18 07:55 PM
Y'all should really check this out.
727204, Just started today. First ep was solid. I'm in.
Posted by Castro, Wed Jan-10-18 07:10 PM
727208, planning to start with the kids soon
Posted by lonesome_d, Thu Jan-11-18 11:21 AM
My daughter was Molly for Haalloween this year.
727212, OH SHIT!!!!
Posted by bwood, Thu Jan-11-18 12:29 PM
That's dope!
727206, Final episode is nuts b.
Posted by bwood, Wed Jan-10-18 08:24 PM
This was a very entertaining season of television. Fuck what you heard. This shit is dope.
727226, One of my favorite Marvel graphic Novel.
Posted by Nappy Soul, Thu Jan-11-18 07:47 PM
This show is moving the needle on the Superhero orientated TV show. It's not as brooding and campy as the CW lineup. It goes straight to the point unlike the self conscious Netflix Marvel shows and I think it could work for people who don't necessarily like superhero themes shows as it works as a coming of age, teen crime drama which is the aspect that Fox Gotham is not very good at doing.
They stayed with the same skeleton as the graphic novel but strayed at parts which in my opinion improves on the book. They gave the parents a soul which makes them more relatable as characters. 10 episodes in the first season seems short but I think they paced it in a way that we know our characters and their motivation pretty well by the time the season completes.
727228, my family all likes this show
Posted by rob, Thu Jan-11-18 08:46 PM
i think it'll be better in season 2 too