Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectIt's become one of the best shows on TV. (TONS OF SPOILERS)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=714230&mesg_id=714298
714298, It's become one of the best shows on TV. (TONS OF SPOILERS)
Posted by mrhood75, Mon Jul-25-16 12:21 PM
I'll go so far as to say it's the best comedy out there.

However, I'm sort of thinking this would be a good place to end it. More on that later.

This was the best season of the show. It's 100% found it's voice and rhythm and is more seamless in blending comedy and tragedy than ever. It also had a lot of GREAT episodes:

1. The 2007 flashback (as mentioned above)

2. The underwater episode

3. The abortion episode. As the home Myno once said, it's hard to make abortion good TV, and the fact that it turned it into great comedy is supremely impressive.

4. The newspaper subscription episode. Character actress Margo Martindale continues to be thousands of shades of awesome.

5. The NYE episode. Love how they flipped the script at the very end.

6. The restaurant blow-up episode. You could see the end coming from miles away, but still perfectly executed.

7. The Oscar nomination episode. Perfect beginning to the total downward spiral.

8. The drug-fueled bender episode. Might be the best episode of the series.

It was easy for things to go so wrong with the bender episode, because the show has kind of messed it up before. It stands in sharp contrast to the first seasons penultimate episode, where Bojack spend the whole episode on a drug-fueled bender, complete with blackouts, but felt waaaaaay too dark for the show at the time. "That's Too Much, Man!" is truthfully even darker, because actual tragic shit happens: Bojack discovers he ruined the deer kid's life and Sarah Lynn dies. But it still managed to be hilariously funny, yet still tragic, feeling very much at peace with the rest of the show.

But after all that, I don't really know where the show goes from here. The season finale made a very good series finale, and completely hammered home the point of the show: People do not change. Bojack will always be miserable. Todd will always be broke and clueless and happy being so. Princess Caroline will always be a hyper-motivated agent.

I can see a couple of jumping off points for the next season: 1) Mr. Peanut runs for Governor or Senator, and runs into conflict with Diane as a tell-all blogger. 2) Bojack reconnects with his long-lost daughter. But I'm not sure they're stories that really need to be told at this point in the show, given it's pretty clear how it's going to end.

But still, this was very much a great season of TV.