Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectBojack Horseman on Netflix (Season 3)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=714230
714230, Bojack Horseman on Netflix (Season 3)
Posted by Innocent Criminal, Fri Jul-22-16 06:22 PM
What's Updike!
First episode down.
714237, ***plays Generic 2007 pop song***
Posted by mrhood75, Sat Jul-23-16 01:28 AM
That episode was pretty fucking brilliant. Man, I wish rewinding on NetFlix wasn't such a point in the ass, because I kept haven't to rewind to catch all the background jokes.

But yeah, three episodes in, and it's already awesome.
714241, Underwater episode was brilliant.
Posted by Innocent Criminal, Sat Jul-23-16 10:04 AM
714252, This season was really good, but it bummed me out too.
Posted by bwood, Sat Jul-23-16 04:37 PM
Cotdamn can these writer write, but man it left wanting to go watch something a little lighter too.
714294, The underwater episode was fantastic.
Posted by stankpalmer, Mon Jul-25-16 11:29 AM
I was really impressed with the music during this episode. It really captured the sensation of being underwater. I could watch the deep sea scene on repeat.

I'm only halfway through the season, but it's picking up right where season 2 left off.
714668, halfway through i was like...
Posted by Small Pro, Sun Aug-07-16 01:51 PM
..."so nobody's gonna talk this entire episode? wow..." lol
714298, It's become one of the best shows on TV. (TONS OF SPOILERS)
Posted by mrhood75, Mon Jul-25-16 12:21 PM
I'll go so far as to say it's the best comedy out there.

However, I'm sort of thinking this would be a good place to end it. More on that later.

This was the best season of the show. It's 100% found it's voice and rhythm and is more seamless in blending comedy and tragedy than ever. It also had a lot of GREAT episodes:

1. The 2007 flashback (as mentioned above)

2. The underwater episode

3. The abortion episode. As the home Myno once said, it's hard to make abortion good TV, and the fact that it turned it into great comedy is supremely impressive.

4. The newspaper subscription episode. Character actress Margo Martindale continues to be thousands of shades of awesome.

5. The NYE episode. Love how they flipped the script at the very end.

6. The restaurant blow-up episode. You could see the end coming from miles away, but still perfectly executed.

7. The Oscar nomination episode. Perfect beginning to the total downward spiral.

8. The drug-fueled bender episode. Might be the best episode of the series.

It was easy for things to go so wrong with the bender episode, because the show has kind of messed it up before. It stands in sharp contrast to the first seasons penultimate episode, where Bojack spend the whole episode on a drug-fueled bender, complete with blackouts, but felt waaaaaay too dark for the show at the time. "That's Too Much, Man!" is truthfully even darker, because actual tragic shit happens: Bojack discovers he ruined the deer kid's life and Sarah Lynn dies. But it still managed to be hilariously funny, yet still tragic, feeling very much at peace with the rest of the show.

But after all that, I don't really know where the show goes from here. The season finale made a very good series finale, and completely hammered home the point of the show: People do not change. Bojack will always be miserable. Todd will always be broke and clueless and happy being so. Princess Caroline will always be a hyper-motivated agent.

I can see a couple of jumping off points for the next season: 1) Mr. Peanut runs for Governor or Senator, and runs into conflict with Diane as a tell-all blogger. 2) Bojack reconnects with his long-lost daughter. But I'm not sure they're stories that really need to be told at this point in the show, given it's pretty clear how it's going to end.

But still, this was very much a great season of TV.
714313, We disagree on the bender episodes of the past
Posted by astralblak, Mon Jul-25-16 09:38 PM
They were always my favorites cause they were brutal in their funny and how drugs felt

Also Bojack hadn't ruined the deer girl's life. She was fine he triggered her by showing up like some creep

And I also disagree about ppl not changing because they are showing pieces of how they all change, but then they bitch out in insincere ways. And still the show is fantastic
714304, Show creator's interview with Sepinwall (link) (LOTS O' SPOILERS)
Posted by mrhood75, Mon Jul-25-16 01:58 PM

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/bojack-horseman-creator-on-animals-vs-humans-and-that-amazing-underwater-episode

Well, I am encouraged by Bob-Waksberg acknowledging that this is about as far as they can go with the "Bojack is horrible person, and keeps fucking people's lives up even after having his epiphanies" storyline. He seems like he acknowledges that Bojack has hit complete rockbottom and he's ready to take the character in a different direction, rather than keep falling back on theme of stagnation. So that's good.
714315, Ok I can dig the reason they repeated the rock bottom theme now
Posted by astralblak, Mon Jul-25-16 09:49 PM
And I like he has an arc for them in mind
714311, The writing team is great. This show is still... (SPOILERS)
Posted by astralblak, Mon Jul-25-16 09:25 PM
Level and layers of wit and Intelligence

But they made some bad choices finally...

They shouldn't have killed her, it came off cheap

The black agent woman was super problematic

Bojack really didn't need another "ohh shit I'm so lost and scared let me escape moment" season cliff hanger. Especially after the show with his boy clicked and they gave us a scene of how and why it clicked.

Also Todd giving the waitress an 8mil check was fucn stupid and even unbelievable even within the Bojack world

But really loved the bender episode outside of the end

I was feeling hella bad for Catherine most of the season glad she got on her A game again

Asian Daria line and lets get as high as the dick of a dude on stilts had me weak

The underwater episode was fucn brilliant

And the abortion episode had me like O_O... yall think the pop rap whale was a play on Iggy or Niki?

Todd paper machete head was a nice lil piece too

Finally after alluding to it for 3 seasons Bojack got a kid out in the world
714530, That's exaclty WHY he had to run off
Posted by magilla vanilla, Wed Aug-03-16 09:18 AM

>Bojack really didn't need another "ohh shit I'm so lost and
>scared let me escape moment" season cliff hanger. Especially
>after the show with his boy clicked and they gave us a scene
>of how and why it clicked.

He knew he was going to fall into the same patterns, right down to befriending the breakout child star of the show and being a mentor figure to completely fuck her over, just like he did with Sarah Lynn.
714438, Quite simply the best show around right now
Posted by seandammit, Sun Jul-31-16 02:00 AM
Writing is impeccable, cast kills it, so smart and hilarious and yet so devastatingly, brutally real. I love this show so much.
714572, i blame sneaking a look at this post (spoilers?)
Posted by rob, Thu Aug-04-16 01:38 PM
but i watched episode 4 (amazing) last night, and somehow my brain combined the comments online that referenced the underwater and the abortion episodes.

i was fearing for that baby seahorse all episode. i even braced myself when i saw the banner with "5" on it....i was certain it was about to go down.