Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectI think the problem lies exclusively within poor creative choices
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=711094&mesg_id=722696
722696, I think the problem lies exclusively within poor creative choices
Posted by Cold Truth, Mon Jun-12-17 06:07 PM
by writers, directors and producers.

I don’t think development with the intent to create a larger universe drove the choices that lead to a poor film with The Mummy or BvS or any other franchise.

It’s like Sam Raimi blaming the fan and studio desire to put Venom in a Spider-Man movie for the awful Spider-Man movie he made.

Venom wasn’t the reason he created that awful jazz club scene with My Chemical Peter, though Venom certainly became Raimi’s Escape Goat ©.
I haven’t seen the Mummy so I can’t comment on what did or didn’t work for or against it, but I’d generally argue that the problems inherent in bad storytelling lie with the choices made by the writers, directors and producers. Even if the choice was made to focus on big-picture storytelling, they probably made poor choices en route to that goal.

I know that for me the visuals in the trailers I’ve seen scream bland, generic and dated.

I also know that the trailers as a whole presented a bland, generic and dated premise that reeked of laziness and an over reliance on a big name to carry the day.

To that end they didn’t even do their job in getting me interested enough to buy a ticket.

I just don’t think there’s anything about a “cinematic universe” premise that’s inherently problematic. I think the problem lies in the creative choices by the people charged with executing that concept and if they choose to rely on names and the universe concept itself at the expense of the quality of the individual film, that’s not exclusive to the concept.