Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectI really liked it. However, the phrase I thought of after was:
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=708181&mesg_id=720218
720218, I really liked it. However, the phrase I thought of after was:
Posted by phenompyrus, Fri Mar-03-17 10:02 AM
"Missed opportunities"

Before I get to what I didn't like below... Hugh Jackman is terrific, Patrick Stewart is terrific, they nailed X-23 and Caliban, and the violence... FINALLY! We get to see Wolverine as the fans truly know him to be. Movies should not set out to be rated R, but I think with this and Deadpool, perhaps more mainstream R comic book movies are in line to be made... I'm looking at you Deadpool 2, X-Force, and what I hope will be an R-rated, Mel Gibson directed (he's been confirmed to be rumored) Suicide Squad sequel. Logan's cinematography the film in general looked terrific. The Reavers are always a scary presence in the comics to Wolverine (they beat the shit out of him and crucified him at one point), and Boyd Holbrook was pretty good as the leader.

The above points create a film that is at the very least a Top 5 X-Men film, that I think will age very, very well. X2, X-Men: Days of Future Past, Deadpool (yea, it's an X-Men franchise film), and X-Men: First Class (this is debatable), are better IMHO. But, those 4 and Logan are hands down the best of the group, by far.

Now, on to what was a little less than stellar...

SPOILERS... that I think are, for the most part, nitpicks... I couldn't help but think of these while watching the movie though...

Deadpool is there, cool, but why not film a combo scene with Hugh Jackman's Wolverine if this is his final appearance as the character?

X-24? Really? He was OK, but why not use Sabretooth here? Ultimate Sabretooth had 4 adamantium claws on each hand, can you imagine Liev Schreiber as a more badass version of Sabretooth?

Why didn't they show what happened to the X-Men? They did in Old Man Logan, do it here!

Why not make the lead scientist Mister Sinister, especially after introducing his name at the end of X-Men: Apocalypse when Essex stole Wolverine's blood and hinted at the creation of X-23?

So Hugh Jackman has appeared as the character 9 times in 17 years... And never once did he appear in the classic comic book uniform? The closest we got was a deleted scene in The Wolverine and in the comic books in Logan? Really?

It may seem I'm hating hard, but I really did enjoy the movie quite a bit. Hugh Jackman's final appearance and R-rating had high hopes in me though, perhaps unfairly so.