Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectRE: Nah, his point is more specific than to leave it at 'film' in general
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=703417&mesg_id=703474
703474, RE: Nah, his point is more specific than to leave it at 'film' in general
Posted by The Analyst, Wed Oct-14-15 01:35 PM
He's trying to say that he's made numerous attempts to engage with racial topics (what he's calling "black culture"), sometimes in an aggressive way, which has forced people to think, debate, take positions, get mad, etc.

Hence, "You must have an opinion of me. You must deal with what I’m saying and deal with the consequences."

I mean, this is pretty undeniable, as the debate over whether Django Unchained was a well-intentioned misfire or a "virulent fuck you to the confederate south" or the work of an outright racist was one of the most spirited PTP debates I remember seeing on here in years.

This is a lot different than calling himself the epicenter of black culture though. That's obviously not what he was saying or even implying.

Now, whether you agree with his positions or believe what he's saying or approve of his work are a totally different issues, and I don't remotely have a problem with criticizing the movies themselves.