Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectHulu starts the movement away from Binge TV/Too Much TV?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=702116
702116, Hulu starts the movement away from Binge TV/Too Much TV?
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Tue Aug-25-15 11:12 AM
Hulu won’t be letting you binge watch its new original programming.

http://gizmodo.com/hulu-doesnt-want-to-feed-your-binge-watching-habit-1723145971

I do think shows loose buzz when dropping all at once. Look how the convos go here between the shows in which episodes are released week by week versus the netflix shows dropped all at once.

My bet is Netflix will follow-suit wthin two years.

How about the notion that there is too Much Scripted TV?

http://www.npr.org/sections/monkeysee/2015/08/16/432458841/television-2015-is-there-really-too-much-tv

Interesting because it was not too long ago that the fear that reality tv will kill scripted television.

I kind of get it though. It does seem like there are more good shows out now than I can watch and it becomes a big decision to watch any new show. I started Humans but by the end it turned out to be a big disappointment and I feel like I should have been watching, i dont know, Mr. Robot instead.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

Movies I need y'all bastids to see so we can discuss:

Five Star - https://goo.gl/jBHbVv
Appropriate Behavior - http://goo.gl/isCzTM
Ma
702120, I think they should drop all but the season finale
Posted by Ceej, Tue Aug-25-15 11:22 AM
have a date for that maybe a month later or so. That way shows get 2 event days.
702122, Hulu has ads in their content, Netflix doesn't.
Posted by Numba_33, Tue Aug-25-15 11:48 AM
The annoying ads breaks in Hulu content doesn't make it conducive to streaming content all at once, while Netflix isn't tied to ad revenue. In addition, Hulu is owned by NBC, ABC, and Fox, so I think that is the main reason Hulu is tied to the traditional method for airing their original content. Netflix is independent from the TV networks while Hulu isn't.
702125, great points.
Posted by Ceej, Tue Aug-25-15 12:33 PM
702128, yep.
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Tue Aug-25-15 04:44 PM
702129, Especially because they have like five ads.
Posted by SoulHonky, Tue Aug-25-15 06:46 PM
Watching ads isn't that annoying until you see the same ad four times during the same show.
702322, very good points
Posted by ThaAnthology, Mon Aug-31-15 09:42 AM
702127, Hulu PR launches a new marketing campaign
Posted by Rjcc, Tue Aug-25-15 04:21 PM
they've usually not dropped all their episodes at once.

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
702130, I think it's helped Netflix a bit.
Posted by SoulHonky, Tue Aug-25-15 07:32 PM
Their marquee shows have had diminishing returns but I think people are more likely to keep plugging away if they can watch it whenever rather than if they had to wait for a specific day and date for the show to come out. Knowing that you have all of them and will watch some when you want seems like less of an indictment of a show than when people put off watching a show the night it airs. (And I think more people might have given up on House of Cards and this new season of OITNB had it been a traditional release.)
Similarly, more people might have watched more of Between if it had been released at once.

Although, as a fan of the water cooler discussion about shows, I do believe that a mix of the two options might be best. Release a handful of episodes at once every month. The fans can eat it up all at once while the regular views have time to watch it at their leisure while they all anticipate the upcoming batch of episodes.

While there are too many shows to watch, I'll take the variety over having a manageable amount of shows that I'm not that wild about. And streaming makes it so much easier to catch up on shows. It's another reason why I think two shorter seasons is smarter than kicking off with one long season. Put one season out, let word of mouth help, give time for the late adopters, and then use the new season as a way to hype it up again.

Ultimately though, I think people are looking for the one answer when the current marketplace makes it that people need to fit their approach to each show and not look for the one approach to rule them all.
702131, I think people definitely would have quit daredevil
Posted by Rjcc, Tue Aug-25-15 07:53 PM
if it were a weekly show.

although you could also argue they make the shows differently because they know they don't have to pull you in next week.

702357, This article says different.
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Mon Aug-31-15 02:39 PM
>Their marquee shows have had diminishing returns

http://bgr.com/2015/08/29/here-are-netflixs-most-popular-original-shows/

As of late, OITNB has seen a steady growth in August.
Same for House Of Cards and Arrested Development.

Surprised me.

702379, The poll question is "watched", not "watched lately."
Posted by SoulHonky, Tue Sep-01-15 12:05 AM
I meant diminishing returns as in quality; I haven't heard many people who were thrilled with the last seasons of House of Cards or OITNB. However, I think because it'll be available for people at the touch of a button, they'll be more likely to stick with it. I know that I'm not really looking forward to Daredevil season 2 but I'm sure I'll dial it up one hungover Sunday anyway. I'll likely give Sense 8 a try because it's easily available.

That being said, the article you posted is misleading when it says watched lately. The poll just asks which shows people have watched. The fact that OITNB jumped 15% and then dropped 6% in a couple of months makes me think that there's a substantial margin of error in the poll as well. Even beyond that, the poll is flawed.
If I was one of the lucky 453 people who were polled, I'd say that I've seen OITNB but I've only watched 4 episodes of season 1.

That poll is more useful as an internal poll to figure out what kind of programs Netflix should invest in than it tells you how the shows are currently faring.

702400, that poll is pretty useless
Posted by Rjcc, Tue Sep-01-15 01:09 PM
except for clicks

702380, for a 13 episode season, netflix should release 3 eps a week
Posted by theprofessional, Tue Sep-01-15 01:55 AM
(4 episodes the last week) so that you can have a whole month of ongoing discussion/analysis/anticipation. when you wait a year for your show to drop a new season, then when it does, you binge through it in a weekend, the experience just isn't as good.
702599, This is how I watch shows now on cable VOD.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Thu Sep-10-15 06:38 PM
No interest in watching the first ep of any new show. I wait for at least a few episodes and critical buzz. Then I play catch up. Paid off for Mr. Robot. Not so much for Humans.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

Movies I need y'all bastids to see so we can discuss:

Five Star - https://goo.gl/jBHbVv
Appropriate Behavior - http://goo.gl/isCzTM
Ma
702447, One week + roughly four additional dollars equals me being wrong
Posted by Numba_33, Thu Sep-03-15 07:56 AM
in my initial reply to this thread. Do you folks see the $12 no-ad option being popular for Hulu? Their content isn't that strong in my opinion for folks to jump on this. Perhaps if their basic cable shows were available quicker, I might see folks spending $12 a month, but even that is a stretch. And to make it worse, there are some shows that will have ads even with that additional four dollar option.
702475, Not sure it'll make a huge difference.
Posted by SoulHonky, Thu Sep-03-15 04:17 PM
I switched over to No Ads* but when I mentioned it in my office, most people responded with, "Wait, if you subscribed you still had ads?" And that's a response/complaint I've heard a lot.

I think the biggest issue is that the shows are only up for a short amount of time. It's a useful site for cord cutters but it's not somewhere you can discover a show you missed since they only have the last five eps of most shows.
702482, hulu is some bullshit through
Posted by BigWorm, Thu Sep-03-15 09:29 PM
I just started on hulu.

Yeah they have some different shows. And yeah they seem to get new eps of shows (for free) way faster than Amazon or Netflix...

But damn. I don't watch cable or network tv stations, haven't for years. So all my viewing is coming from the above 3. But even at this early stage, watching Hulu feels really close to watching a show on cable, with all the commercial breaks. Who on Earth would want to binge watch a show that way?

Well not me at least. Watching 12 eps of a show back to back suddenly seems entirely unappealing when you add to it like 70 commercials sprinkled throughout.

Not that marathoning or binge watching a show is my thing these days, but I'm glad Netflix and Amazon will release stuff all at once and not try to rope people back into the regularly scheduled viewing that turned a lot of people away from network and cable TV channels in the first place.

702501, I see that they just added a "no ads" option.
Posted by The Wordsmith, Fri Sep-04-15 04:29 PM
I think I might check that out and see how that goes. Especially since I just cut the cord.

Since 1976
702677, if hulu got a deal with BBC or showcase
Posted by lfresh, Mon Sep-14-15 11:10 AM
on any over seas networks with popular shows (UK, canada even) I want to see in the US broadcasting live at the same time
thats the only way they will get me to subscribe and watch their content w ads
otherwise
pass
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.