Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subject Marvel's Most not REALLY Wanted... ?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=702011&mesg_id=702132
702132, Marvel's Most not REALLY Wanted... ?
Posted by Voodoochilde, Tue Aug-25-15 07:59 PM
..so here's the thing....with me, before you spin-off anything....get the core solid. The core being AOS....

for me, you have GOT to give the characters depth...you've GOT to write a script that gives the character's depth FIRST and FOREMOST. and by 'depth' i'm NOT meaning some convoluted interwoven 'plot line'...i'm talking about relatable, human, personalities....give them words that help define them as individuals that we can relate to & connect to....do THAT first....do THAT consistently....THEN when i am invested in them, i'll roll with the plot pretty much wherever you go....

in my opinion, its worth investing in character depth FIRST....plot-line second...

Netflix Daredevil got that...and did that...and NAILED that. They didn't rush TOO fast or rely too much on complex plot lines and twists unanswered 'mysteries'....instead they focused more on character development, character definition, character motivation...and THATs what hooked me. THATS what got me invested. Netflix DD was SO well done...it set the bar for how well it can be done...

Agent Carter got it as well. In my opinion, the Agent Carter miniseries was able to successfully give us characters that pulled us in and that we connected with in only 6 episodes. The plot lines were secondary to the characters....i tuned in because the characters were fleshed out enough and well written enough to make me want to 'hang out' with them to see WHATEVER they got into....

AOS had (and still could have) potential...but i just think they're focusing TOO much on 'situational / interconnecting plot lines' FIRST while NOT investing enough on subtle character depth.....that, in my opinion is the missed opportunity....that's why i'm not really that excited for any spinoff at this point...

the AOS characters that had the most potential...Coulson of course, May, Mack & Fitz and Simmons...they had some 'potential'...and yeah i think that the newer dude, Hunter, has some potential too....but as i said, for the most part the scripts seem to be 'less character'/more 'plot-line' focused....so i find myself caring less & less about these people....which is unfortunate...

anyway...i hope things turn around for AOS...i loved Coulson so much in the movies...and the 'concept' for Agents of Shield had a lot of potential...but cmon....give me a reason to give a sheet about the characters first....give them enough words that help define them as individual humans FIRST....then after i'm invested in that manner, i'll wanna roll into all of the Inhuman adventures that you wanna...

(special props goes to Kyle MacLauchlan as Skys dad...i thought he was very well done and very well acted.....as was Lucy Lawless (of Zena fame)...I instantly loved her in her role and wanted more more more of her. Lucy needs to be in the Marvel universe like yesterday. She's got the acting chops and the visual presence....)