Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectIt's just not a very good show
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=701530&mesg_id=710384
710384, It's just not a very good show
Posted by CaptNish, Tue Apr-05-16 07:04 AM
I'm an episode and a half behind (I stopped during the Elvis scene), but this show wants to be something it hasn't earned. They keep trying to do the musician vignettes like the pilot, but they don't seem to understand what they are for. And that dead friend episode was so telegraphed from the start, you could see that they thought they were Sixth Sensing it up when really, there was no reason to care.

The characters aren't likeable. And not in an anti-hero type of way. In a "this is fucking annoying" type of way. Also, they have this large cast and haven't defined who any of them are besides Richie (who, despite Canavale's amazing performance, isn't half as interesting as the show thinks he is) and Olivia Wilde (who I know is playig a character but all I seem to see each week is sad Olivia Wilde).

I want to like it. I forgive it way too much. But it wants to be heady, and it's not. It wants to be a David Milch show, but it's not smart enough.